Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 sonata tire noise: not comfy frwy cruiser.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Default 2011 sonata tire noise: not comfy frwy cruiser.

Is it just me, but my 2011 GLS Sonata does track well on frwy, the suspension feels too tight and the steering gets too heavy at frwy speeds; also, there's too much tire noise! Car looks better than it drives. It seems I have to make too much effort to keep the car going straight on frwy.
Are the stock tire noisy tires or is it the car?
Am I the only one with these thought?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

No, you aren't the only one. There are a few others:
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=8267

Old 08-14-2010, 08:48 AM

No, you are not the only one with the problem. The tires are noisy and I don't know if it is the tires themselves or lack of insulation/isolation in the car itself or both. I have an SE which is somewhat noisier than the GLS, basically because of the sport suspension, the 18" wheels and the lower profile tires. I would be interested in finding out if switching out the tires helps but because the car is so new, it will be a while before someone really needs tire replacements and gives some feedback. I do have to say it is a lot quieter than my old Subaru which generated road noise, wind noise (due to the wind whistling through the window gaskets) and engine noise. It was so loud that I could not listen to the radio/CD player at a reasonable volume.

I have some friends that do high end car stereo installations and they work with a lot of sound deadening techniques. Someday I may have them take a look at what they can do but for now I will live with it because, as I said, it beats the Subaru.

I am not having the steering problems some others are having. It just took me a while to get used to the different weighting of the electric steering. I am OK with it now.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Default Road Noise!

Feedback please.

I have a 2011 Sonata. If I'm going over pavement that is not completely smooth then the tire noise is terrible!! I had Dynamat put under back seats, since it seems that most noise comes from the rear. I put home installation in the rear wheel-wells and I have yoga matting, three thick, in the trunck and matting under all the removable carpets in the car--none of this reduced the tire noise. I feel like I'm driving a cheap small car when not on completely smooth pavement--which is rare.

Question: Has anyone changed the tires yet???

I will be going to Michellins when the time comes to change tires and would do it now if I knew for sure it would make a difference. I have researched the Kumhos on the car it appears they have a fairly good rating for quietness so I'd hate to pay $600 for Michellins and find it didn't make much difference.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Default 2011 Sonata GLS

I just picked mine up on Saturday and noticed at slow speeds on slightly rough road here in Port St Lucie FL that the car seems noisy due to tire noise (incidently I sell dynamat on ebay). Ultimately, I think its the tires, I thought I read that this tires was noisy on one of the reviews of the car. I would sell my new tires on ebay if I was sure there was a good tire that would make a big difference!!

I will be driving back to Northern NJ with it tomorrow morning so will certainly see how it does on a long highway trip!!!

I would hate to take up carpet and seats to add dynamat to the body furthermore thats going to add about 50lbs to the car as well.

Bob

Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Default 2011 Sonata Limited

We just bought ours 6 weeks ago, now has 6,500 miles on it, and tracks straight, no vibration and quiet except on some types of concrete. The ride is very nice only on newer smooth asphalt interstates. Get on broken concrete and we can't even sip a drink without spilling it. Try I-43 in Wisconsin, or most of I-90 in IL and WI and the list goes on.

But good news, the same tire noise (roar) we also had in a 2008 Honda CR-V was totally transformed when we put Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires on it. Went from huge tire noise to NONE. So I will be putting Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires on next year (35k miles or so) and pretty sure that will knock out any tire noise issues.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:15 AM

I can tell you from experience (not with the Sonata) on cars and motorcycles, that the brand of tires can make a huge difference in the noise levels and the ride/handling.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:10 AM

Let me give an update of my trip from S. Florida to N. New Jersey last week in my new Sonata! The noise was not an issue. The car drove amazingly and there was never any pull to one side or the other. It was not noisy on the highway. I left at 7am and got home at 2am. I really did not have to stop much. In my RAM 3500 I had to stop several times to stretch my stiff legs. The Sonata seats left me feeling relaxed with no leg pain after several hours of driving. The seats are every bit as comfortable as the seats that were in my Volvo XC70 I had years ago.

My Sonata GLS has incredible accelation. I was doing 75mph and punched it a few times to pass a tractor trailer and in about 5 seconds I was not only past the truck I was doing nearly 100mph. The 6 speed transmission is just so smooth!

I love the car and would recommend it to anyone!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by n2carz
We just bought ours 6 weeks ago, now has 6,500 miles on it, and tracks straight, no vibration and quiet except on some types of concrete. The ride is very nice only on newer smooth asphalt interstates. Get on broken concrete and we can't even sip a drink without spilling it. Try I-43 in Wisconsin, or most of I-90 in IL and WI and the list goes on.

But good news, the same tire noise (roar) we also had in a 2008 Honda CR-V was totally transformed when we put Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires on it. Went from huge tire noise to NONE. So I will be putting Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires on next year (35k miles or so) and pretty sure that will knock out any tire noise issues.
I too am not satisfied with the noise being emitted from my Kumhos. I was considering going with the Goodyear Comfortred or the Michelin MXV4 tires. But a convert to the the Goodyears reported that, although quieter than the OEM tires, they still emit some noise. I had Michelin MXV4s on my previous car and was satisfied with them. And now your endorsement has me leaning toward them again. Thanks for the article.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:15 PM

I just bought a used 2011 GLS (21k miles) with Kumho Solus tires. I also am not happy with the amount of road noise. I tried rotating them all possible ways, with no difference. It is probably the biggest annoyance so far...that and the left steering pull...

Quick Reply: 2011 sonata tire noise: not comfy frwy cruiser.