Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

First Car Purchase 2007 Sonata-5 Queries Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:41 AM
Default First Car Purchase 2007 Sonata-5 Queries Need Help

Dear Hyundai Forum Member,
Greetings to you all and wish you a very happy new year.
I am new to this group and I hope you can help me with some queries which I have?
I will be getting my Hyundai Sonata 2007 GLS model on Wednesday 7th Jan 2009. The car has done 27000 miles and it comes with the 5 spoke magnesium alloy wheels. This will be my first car in the United States, and after a lot of research and functional buying consumer behavior I have opted for the Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.4 Liter.
1. My first question is that the Hyundai Sonata GLS comes with 215/60R16 tires whilst the Hyundai Sonata LX comes with 225/50R17? The car which I am buying will have 215/60R16 tires and I wanted to know when the time comes to change the tires can I put the larger 225/50R17 on my car? Would I have to change the magnesium alloy wheels in order to do so I think I have to do this because of the R16 and R17? Also I assume putting the larger tire will increase road holding, and the height of the car? Do you see any benefit in my doing this? Without changing the magnesium alloys which is the best rated tire I should opt for or should I stick with the standard 215/60R16? Do you think there will be a benefit of going in for 215/65R16?
2. I intend to put an engine oil additive, transmission additive and a fuel injector additive to improve the life of the parts; apart from the regular oils, do you have any suggestions/brands on these additives? Are these additives really useful, I see some law suits about additive companies offering products which have no apparent benefit? The car will be predominantly be in California.
3. I have heard a lot about HID lighting and its benefits, do you think I can put these on a 2007 sonata? Will this be legal? Also do you think I can put HID lighting just for the fog lamps and not the headlights?
4. Sun film, is it legal to put a very light shaded sun film in the United States?
5. Transparent Car-Bra. I understand that the car gets damaged by stones and rocks which is why I have seen some videos to put a 3M film which is called a clear bra? Is there a benefit for this accessory? It it costing me close to $ 595 to get it installed, however if I get myself a pre-cut clear bra it costs only $124? Is it easy to install a clear bra, and will the car look like as though it has been taped ? I have never seen a clear bra which is why I am curious? Also is $595 justified for this after market fitment ?
I hope you can guide me on this first purchase of mine and thank you for allowing me to become a member of the forum.
Regards

Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 AM
Banned
Default RE: First Car Purchase 2007 Sonata-5 Queries Need Help

1. No you can't put 17 inch tires on a 16 inch wheel.

2. Don't put any oil additives in you oil, it's already got plenty for a car with 27k miles.

3. Don't know about the HID lights, but I wouldn't do it, they're too bright for the oncoming driver.

4. Sun film laws differ from state to state, I don't know about CA

5. Save your money on the car bra, sounds like a lot of money, and your car it gonna turn into junk anyway. Car bras trap dirt and moisture behind them, and leave a mark if you try to take them off.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Banned

Why don't you just do the scheduled maintainece, like a trans flush. Maybe buy some nice 16 inch tires. How about some nice sheepskin seat covers? A tow bar? If you really want to get fancy, get a mod stainless steel exhaust. Like I said, cars turn into junk anyway no matter what you do.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

1. The car will not sit higher with the 17" wheels/tires. The 215/60-16 tire is actaully taller than the225/50-17 tire. The 215/60-16 tire is 26.1" tall while the 225/50-17 tire is 25.9" tall. Thisis not a problem and can easily be swapped. The larger tires mayincrease the road handling ability of the car slightly but not very much. However,they will lower your fuel economy slightly because they weigh more and have a higher rolling resistance. The only reason to change, in my opinion, is for looks. If you like the looks if the 17" wheels, go for it. Also, if you keep the 16" wheels, keep the same size tires. Do not go to 215/65-16's.

2. Skip the all the additives. Most are just a waste of money. Buy quality oil and fuel instead. I would also suggest using a quality synthetic oil instead of standard oil and additives. The ONLY additive I use is Chevron Techron for the fuel system. Chevron fuel comes with Techron already in it butunfortunately, there are no Chevron gas stations in my area of the country. So about twice a year I add a bottle of Techron to the fuel.

3. HID lighting is an entire system, not a bulb that can be easily changed. Yes, there are benifits to HID lights and theer are kits available but the good ones are not cheap.

4.You will have to check the laws in your state. They differ from state to state.

5. I am not a fan of car bras (cloth or clear). Iwould rather justkeep the car well waxed.

Good luck with your Sonata and welcome to the forum.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:07 PM

Hello jsinton and NovaResource,
Thank you very much for replying to my post, and for welcoming me to the forum.
I have taken your inputs and suggestions and will follow them to closure.
Thank you once again and have a great year ahead.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:46 PM

The car has done 27000 miles and it comes with the 5 spoke magnesium alloy wheels.
The 17" 5-spoke alloy wheel that Hyundai used on the 2007 Se and LX models was offered as an option on the GLS. Did the seller specifically say the car had 16" rims and tires? If not, then there is a possibility that the car could already have 17" tires.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:49 PM

Hello Ken,

thank you very much for the update.

I will check the car on Wednesday to confirm.

Regards
Veneet

Old 01-14-2009, 02:04 AM

Hello everyone,
Just an update to all of you, I picked up the Sonata last Friday and I must say I am truly enjoying the car.
Ken99, the car does have 17 Inch wheels and tires which is good news, thank you very much for your keen inputs.
The car has done 28400 miles and I plan to take it for the 30K service.
Some questions which I have are
1. The dealership (Tuttle Click Hyundai Irvine) is charging me $33 for an air filter, I did some online searching and I am getting an air filter for just $9.95 http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2007/hyundai/sonata/air_intake/air_filter.html
Changing an air filter is no big problem, but is there something I am missing here? The dealer is charging me triple of what the part actually costs?

2. NovaResource I did wash the car and then dried it and then wax polished the car with Turtle wax liquid polish. Thank you, it does definitely looks much better. I also got a tire spray and even the tires look great.

3. NovaResource I intend to put a synthetic oil and the make is Mobil 5W-30 SuperSyn http://www.autobarn.net/oil44877.html?site=google_base
There is a good deal at Walmart where I am getting a 4 liter can for $11. The dealer has agreed to put this oil instead of putting their own.

4. In regards to the dealership they indicated an oil filter will cost me in excess of $20, however on the internet I am getting a BOSCH oil filter for $3.95. http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2007/hyundai/sonata/engine_mechanical/oil_filter.html
Am I missing something here as well? I personally feel BOSCH is a reputable company which does make quality products, then what makes the dealerships oil filter different?

5. Jsinton based on your suggestion I will to do a transflush and transmission oil change, do I have to change the transmission filter as well?
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2007/hyundai/sonata/transmission/automatic_transmission_filter.html

6. It is costing me $130 for this transmission oil change, do you think the dealership will change the filter as well in this price?
I must thank all of you for your guidance and support.
Regards
Veneet

Old 01-14-2009, 04:47 AM

Ken99, the car does have 17 Inch wheels and tires which is good news, thank you very much for your keen inputs. The car has done 28400 miles and I plan to take it for the 30K service.
Good, I am glad the car is working out. Although you purchased a used Hyundai, all of the original warranties that came with the car are still in effect except for the 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. That reverts to a 5 year/60,000 mile interval, same as the bumper-to-bumper warranty. The 30,000 mile service is a major milestone service that not only is good for maintaining the car, but also for maintaining the warranty. Yes, the dealership has a large mark up on filters, but the transmission flush is reasonably priced (and yes, it should include a new filter). They should also flush the cooling system and replace the coolant. You will appreciate that if you ever get stuck in rush hour traffic on the interstate.

I intend to put a synthetic oil and the make is Mobil 5W-30 SuperSyn http://www.autobarn.net/oil44877.html?site=google_base There is a good deal at Walmart where I am getting a 4 liter can for $11. The dealer has agreed to put this oil instead of putting their own.
There are lots of oil discussions on this forum, most tend to go around in circles as people argue one oil product is superior to another. Everybody has their own favorites and will defend their choices to their death. I will simply say the Mobil SuperSyn is a good product and the price you cite is a good buy, but I think you are wasting money if you plan on routinely changing the oil every 3,750 miles as suggested by the maintainence schedule. If you plan on routine oil changes, any API certified oil of the proper grade will work just as well. If your routine for oil changes is uncertain, then switching to a synthetic or synthetic blend will not hurt and provide protection for extended service intervals.

In regards to the dealership they indicated an oil filter will cost me in excess of $20, however on the internet I am getting a BOSCH oil filter for $3.95. http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2007/hyundai/sonata/engine_mechanical/oil_filter.html
Am I missing something here as well? I personally feel BOSCH is a reputable company which does make quality products, then what makes the dealerships oil filter different?
I've settled on using Hyundai OEM filters in my Sonatas, but my dealer only charges me $6 to 7 for oil filters at the parts counter. This is comparable to what I would pay at NAPA or O'Reillys for a DANA made filter. FYI, there are lots and lots of filter brands sold in the U.S., but most are manufactured by only four companies. The Bosch filter sold in the U.S. is made by Champion Laboratories, that also makes AC-Delco, STP, Walmart SuperTech and several other brands of filters. Champion made filters are OK (at least better than a Fram), but don't delude yourself into thinking the Bosch brand is something special. I suggest you shop around different dealeships to price Hyundai filters. I have heard Kia dealerships usually have better prices on Hyundai filters and lubricants compared to most Hyundai dealerships.

I will to do a transflush and transmission oil change, do I have to change the transmission filter as well?
While the car is on warranty, I would have this done at the dealership. They will use the right oil (SPIII) and the right filter and you will be good for another 30,000 miles. As I said, $130 for this service is reasonable.

Good luck with your new Sonata.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:00 AM

Ken99 thanks a million for your fantastic responses. You have been of great help and so have all the fourm members.

Regards
Veneet

Quick Reply: First Car Purchase 2007 Sonata-5 Queries Need Help