Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Sonata (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/)
-   -   30 K service for Hyundai Sonata GLS (4 cyl)-2008 (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/30-k-service-hyundai-sonata-gls-4-cyl-2008-a-5827/)

ss0198 02-21-2009 07:15 PM

30 K service for Hyundai Sonata GLS (4 cyl)-2008

Some people say to take theIR new cars to a dealer for a 30k/60k services. I tried to take it to a dealer but they are ridiculous in terms of charge for example they charge $400 plus for 30k maintainence and again 100 plus for transmission flush. Will it be ok if I take my car to a local car care centre (for example firestone or precision tuneup) because the price diff is big when you compare both of them..dealer vs local car care?
Please advise me.
Thanks
SS

onelowvoltage 02-22-2009 01:52 AM

So $500 total? That is a lot. I was told if i keep up the services at the dealer, I get free oil changes. I bought a certified used. The salesman told me that not many keep up the services because of the prices. How many oil changes can you get for $500? Also, I think the free ones end at 60K too.

jsinton 02-22-2009 07:37 AM

You need a coolant flush, a trans flush, oil change, and all the inspections. You can do it at another mechanic, but you must use Hyundai spec trans fluid, etc or it voids the warranty.

Shop around to another dealer. Don't void the warranty.

NovaResource 02-22-2009 07:40 AM

I paid about $400-500 for the three times I got the 30K service on my 3 cars Hyundai/Kias. No, you don't have to go to the dealer but unless the place you take it to knows Hyundais, they can destroy your trans. I've heard dozens of stories of people trying to go cheap and the place they took it to used the wrong trans fluid and destroyed their trans. And the warranty was voided because of it. So they had to buy a new trans from Hyundai.

So, the choice is yours.

pete c 03-18-2011 09:53 AM

My 30K is due on my '09 4 cylinder 5 speed.

I am planning on doing the coolant change myself. Would I be better off getting it done at a shop? Firestone wants a little over 100 bucks. Yes, they might actually use some sort of flushing gadget that gets all the old stuff out, but, I would think that simply draining/refilling using premix or full strength/distilled water would be sufficient.

What do you folks think? Do I run warranty risks in doing this myself?

rallyman 03-21-2011 07:35 AM

The first coolant change isn't due until 5yr/60,000 miles so it's not really necessary for you to change it yet. I think the frequency drops to every 30K after the first change. If you want to change it at 30K that is your choice and I think you are fine doing it yourself as a drain and refill. That's how I did it on my 2006 Sonata.

WheelBroker1 03-25-2011 11:03 AM

InFo For All Members

1 Attachment(s)
What ever you do by yourself make sure you buy all your parts from your Hyundai car shop. One of my friends is the #1 certified mechanic for Hyundai in Ohio..Yes he is Gold Certified. Guess who does my up-keep :)

But he told me to tell anyone who buys parts that they need to buy them thru Hyundai only..

WheelBroker1