Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2007 hyundai sonata transmission quality

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Default 2007 hyundai sonata transmission quality

Well, I took my sonata into the dealer the other day for a recall in the brake light switch. So while I was there, I took the opportunity to have a tech drive my sonata to see if he felt any weird sensations in my tranny. You see, the car shifts very nicely but between 1-2 going at low speeds it kinda seems to have a delay or just very lousy feeling. I have read many threads saying it was the characteristic of the sonatas and that they have to familiarize themselves with the new driver to get used to its habits and driving styles. The tech told me it seemed fine to him and that it was normal. He said it's all computers that tell the car when to shift blah blah blah. I bought this car a month ago (had about 57, 600 miles now has 58,100) and haven't noticed any difference. Does it take longer for the computer to adjust itself to your driving styles? I plan on getting the tranny flushed when it hits 60k for the maintenance so maybe I'll notice the difference then. But like I said, the tech said everything was fine.

by the way it's the v6 3.3 version.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Was the fluid changed at 30,000 miles? It should have been.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:55 PM

I suggest you read this TSB and then have another chat with the local service manager.

http://www.hmaservice.com/files/331/...-AT-007PDF.pdf

Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 PM

Wont matter much, the trans is not acting stupid... sure you can reset the adaptive to clean out any learned bad habits.

Trick is that not a lot of people not aware of is that (I have posted this many times on the net) you is best to reset that adaptive when hot.. NOW since oil is good and hot (above 122 F), the system is open for learning,,, so we do the shifter thing a few times, then down the street and into the neighborhood out of traffic to initiate the learn process, and then return to customer for them to carry on with own driving style.

Dont expect to get anywhere reseting adaptive on a cold trans, then expect it to start learn,,, the oil is not up to temp.

Part of the program for gear change is they drop the timing to take away engine torque during shift, 1-2 is a good spread between ratio... seems today society is under beleif that a felt shift is a bad thing,, and soft slipping unfelt silky shifts is a good thing.. you not going to find a drag car with slippery shifts,, it'll be 1 smack 2 smack 3 with full line oil pressure for instant shift.

Something else to look at is the latest 3.3 ECM upgrade (K LINE), bunch of changed parameters in the program, may have TCM data in it too.. do ECM reprogram, and reset trans adaptives, and re-initiate the learn with hot trans.

Last edited by sbr711; 01-17-2011 at 08:56 PM.