Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

After market oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Default After market oil filter

went to change my oil on a 2011 Sonata, computer states a STP s2808 oil filter, it appears to be much smaller than what is on the vehicle. Anybody else do their own oil changes?

Old 10-30-2010, 10:43 AM

Anybody in the USA can make and sell oil filters.. Why not stick to what Hyundai/Kia puts their own number on ?

Attached Thumbnails After market oil filter-pict0329.jpg  
Old 10-30-2010, 07:33 PM

Why purchase a filter that saves you $1.00 when you dropped 20-large+ on a new car?

Purchase the factory filter for a couple of bucks more, and save yourself bucks in the long run.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:43 PM

I do my own maintenance, and I use Purolator PureONE filters, if they're available for a given application. If I can't get a PureONE, or if there's some other mitigating factor, I'll use OEM. I find that Purolator does the best job of the major aftermarket names in terms of matching factory bypass valve pressures, and so forth. I also know the filter media is excellent.

To answer your question: the PureONE is the same physical size as the filter the factory put on our new Sonata. Other aftermarket filters I've seen are smaller.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 AM

Purolators are good filters, but the OEM made by MANN+Hummel also is an excellent filter. The -35503 can be ordered on line from various places for ~$5 if you looking to save money.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:46 AM

Thanks for that, ken99. I have never heard bad experiences from users of MANN filters. For $5 apiece, they're even price-competitive with Purolators.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by sbr711
Anybody in the USA can make and sell oil filters.. Why not stick to what Hyundai/Kia puts their own number on ?
For the most part, I agree with you. I was at Hyundai getting a service recall done on my 07 Sonata for Brake Light switch failure. Checked out the price of the 3.3 oil filter cartridge because I'll need an oil change in about 2 months. $$$20.73 per filter. Maybe that's why people are looking at aftermarket??

FWIW, I went on line and found a Hyundai dealer selling cases of 30 for 139.95. Add $25.00 UPS shipping and 3% exchange on $ and they come out to around $5.00 per filter. In the US it would be even cheaper for shipping. So if you know what you want, and it's available on line, and you don't mind having a warehouse full of stuff you won't use up, ok.

Me? Ya, I ordered the filters because it's a great price. All I have to do is 6 oil changes to break even. So I'll put about 15 of them up for sale locally at $10.00 and make a few bucks. They are the cartridge type for the 3.3 and there are still plenty of those around. Best of all, they're original Hyundai parts and won't void any warranty.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:10 PM

Which dealer is that? Also keep in mind there will be a brokerage fee and duty/tax on top of that. UPS charges $25 or $30 for their brokerage fee so I usually try to avoid things shipped through them as all the other carriers seem to charge much less.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Smile

i went online to ebay and bought a case of hyundai filters from a dealer.also remember there are two different cartridge sizes for the 3.3 mine takes the taller one.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ernied
i went online to ebay and bought a case of hyundai filters from a dealer.also remember there are two different cartridge sizes for the 3.3 mine takes the taller one.
?? Never heard of this. I checked the part number on the one I got from Northstar Hyundai. It's made in Korea. Labeled as a Service kit - Oil filter part number 26320 3C100. The parts I ordered were exactly the same as this, and are supposedly the same for Santa Fe, Sonata, Veracruz with the 3.3

Originally Posted by rallyman
Which dealer is that? Also keep in mind there will be a brokerage fee and duty/tax on top of that. UPS charges $25 or $30 for their brokerage fee so I usually try to avoid things shipped through them as all the other carriers seem to charge much less.
Yes, I know they have brokerage but it's usually based on the value of the shipment. My experience is sometimes they don't charge anything, but in this case I can expect about 10 or 15 bucks. That's still one heck of a deal. Here's the link to the dealer. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Quick Reply: After market oil filter