Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

The Aftermarket Wheels and Tires Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Default The Aftermarket Wheels and Tires Thread

welcome everyone to my thread

Tire size 225/50-17

im thinking of new getting wheels and tires to run in the spring/summer/fall from tirerack.com. i live in CT and dont want my rims getting busted up in the harsh northeastern winters so im keeping my stock wheels and tires to switch them out. i want to get the tirerack.com stuff assembled and balanced from tirerack.com so i can simply switch them out with my stock stuff myslef, no shops, garages, dealerships necessary.

couple of questions:

i have an 07 sonata limited. will 17X8 rims rub or cause any steering issues? im more worried about the width than the height.

does it matter that i will not have the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) gauges in the aftermarket tires?

will the TMPS light always be on when i have the aftermarket tires on?
if so, will that cause any issues?

is there a fuse i can remove to turn off the TPMS warning light when i have the aftermarket tires on?

when winter comes and i put my stock wheels on, will the TPMS sync back up automatically, or will i have to bring it to the dealer?

i talked with a hyundai dealer and he said it would be a lot of money to get the TPMS things installed in the aftermarket tires. i dont really need it anyways, i can monitor my tire pressure the old fashion way.

any ideas/info/advise/help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated!

please add your own experiences/problems/issues.

thanks

Last edited by speedwaster; 03-12-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

i have an 07 sonata limited. will 17X8 rims rub or cause any steering issues? im more worried about the width than the height.

No, they should fit. Just be sure to get wheels with an offset of about +45mm to +48mm. But my question is why do you need 8" wide rims? I think you would be much better off with 7" wide rims. The wider width will probably cost more and weight more. My advice is to get those wheels in a 17x7 size, especially since you are sticking with the stock 225/50-17 tires.

does it matter that i will not have the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) gauges in the aftermarket tires?

Sensors, not gauges. Personally, I think you should have the sensors in the tires/wheels you will be driving on most. You'll be using the summer tires probably 8-9 months of the year while you'll only be using the factory wheels/tires 3-4 months.

will the TMPS light always be on when i have the aftermarket tires on?

Yes.

if so, will that cause any issues?

No. Except being annoying to the driver.

is there a fuse i can remove to turn off the TPMS warning light when i have the aftermarket tires on?

No.

when winter comes and i put my stock wheels on, will the TPMS sync back up automatically, or will i have to bring it to the dealer?

i talked with a hyundai dealer and he said it would be a lot of money to get the TPMS things installed in the aftermarket tires. i dont really need it anyways, i can monitor my tire pressure the old fashion way.

The sensors will sync back up on their own, you won't need to go to a dealer. I do the opposite. I have snow tires on the original wheels with no TPMS sensors. I had the TPMS sensors put in the summer wheels/tires because I only want to look at that light for 3 months instead of 9 months.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:52 PM

thanks nova! great advise

thats a good idea having the TPMS sensors in the aftermarket set, and not in my stock set since ill only be on the stock stuff 3 months out of the year.

so i guess ill buy the tires and rims from tirerack.com but i wont have them assemble the wheels. this way i can bring the tires to my local hyundai dealer, they can take the TPMS sensors out of my stock set and put them in the aftermarket set, then they can put the tires on the rims, balance and install.

im assuming the TPMS sensors will fit in the aftermarket tires?

oh, and i like the width of the 8 inches, gives my car a meaner look. im going to get the correct tire size to fit the rim.

Last edited by speedwaster; 03-12-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:47 AM

Nice rims BTW,.