Bad oil leak and belt failure - Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:21 PM

Default Bad oil leak and belt failure

Posting this to gain info and help others. I was just heading out with my wife for our 5 year anniversary outing and the belt on my 07 v6 sonata falls off. Got it home and there it something (maybe oil maybe ps fluid) all over all the pullies and bits and pieces of the belt all over. A month ago while changing the spark plugs i removed the valve cover and stopped the oil leak there, i also degreased the engine to a pretty good clean. I have a theory that it is the oil pump... more to follow...please stand by.

Last edited by James4570; 07-14-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:01 PM

So the belt that broke is an accessory belt and not the timing belt??
Closer look at the fluid will help determine whether it is hydraulic fluid (PS)
Or if it is motor oil. Hydraulic fluid is caustic and should be cleaned up as soon as possible
(brake fluid is also hydraulic fluid but much more caustic than any PS fluid. Never mix up the two)

Oil pump is internal and puts oil to the top of the valves?
So it flows down. Can it be an engine seal? Valve cover seal?
That would leak out all over the place especially with a broken belt hitting the flow?
Old 07-16-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisitor View Post
So the belt that broke is an accessory belt and not the timing belt??
Closer look at the fluid will help determine whether it is hydraulic fluid (PS)
Or if it is motor oil. Hydraulic fluid is caustic and should be cleaned up as soon as possible
(brake fluid is also hydraulic fluid but much more caustic than any PS fluid. Never mix up the two)

Oil pump is internal and puts oil to the top of the valves?
So it flows down. Can it be an engine seal? Valve cover seal?
That would leak out all over the place especially with a broken belt hitting the flow?
sorry i got some of the terminology mixed up. Yes it is the acc belt i just said belt because the i have a timing chain. The fluid i found was a mix of rubber packing grease and motor oil. When the belt broke part of it slashed the boot for the cv joint. grease got flung everywhere. The initial oil leak came from the front main seal just behind the harmonic balancer. I said oil pump eariler because that is also right behind the front main seal. As i said i took care of the valve covor seal eariler this month, so i knew it was not that. I had to wash the whole engine with soap and water and took it for a test drive. In less than a mile the entire side of the engine was covered on oil again! So i lifted the driver side of the car and started the engine, oil was leaking from the main seal and getting on the harmonic balancer as a result it was being flung every direction.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:33 AM

I have heard it is difficult to replace main seal and get it to work stop leaking
Because the oil pump is behind there, the seal is under lots of pressure

Have also heard it is possible to replace CV boot.
I have done this myself but I did it with the CV half shaft out of the car
That made it a lot easier to do. But, then I ended up replacing the CV half shaft anyway.
It was just cheap enough to do it.

Oh by the way, congratulations on the 5 year anniversary.
I will have 21 years with my wife in November
Hope you have some good luck and it gets fixed easily and cheap
Well, I can always hope??