Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

bluetooth hands free phone system

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Default bluetooth hands free phone system

I just got my third Hyundai, a 2010 Sonata. It is a great looking car and has the Limited package. I am trying to get my Sony Ericsson phone to sync with the BlueConnect hands free phone system. When I press the phone icon button and say, "Set up" nothing happens. I watched the video on You Tube about the system, and it looks pretty easy to do.

Is it possible that the system is installed incorrectly, or is it yet another instance of user error? Or should I just go back to the dealer and let them do it for for me?

Thanks,

Daniel

Old 02-15-2010, 05:32 PM

Duh, I went right out and started the car. Shazam! Pushed the ON button and the hands free system works. Added my phone and used the phone to call someone.

Cool! Awesome feature.

Daniel

Old 02-20-2010, 12:05 AM
Default How do you like the blue connect? I have a Jabra SP700

How do you like the blue connect system? Is it easy to use? can it synch with the radio? Did you lose the eyeglass holder, or the maplights when you had it installed.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:25 PM

BlueConnect Hands Free phone is great! I don't think it synchs with the radio like the Fords. It has a speaker and mic of its own.

My wife and I went right out and upgraded her phone so she could use the bluetooth also. The one thing we discovered is that the hands free gets confused when both of our phones are turned on. So, only one phone needs to be on at a time. We only need to get incoming calls from our kids, and they usually will try both phones when they can't get through to one of us.

My first Sonata didn't have a sunglasses holder above the mirror, so I'm not sure what was there before in the 2010 Sonata. Our 2007 Santa Fe does have two glasses holder above the mirror. The map lights are still intact just like the Santa Fe. Our first Sonata was a GLS V6, so it didn't have many ameneties outside the elec windows, locks, and upgraded radio. It was better equiped than the 2000 Honda four cylinder we had prior to the 2003 Hyundai Sonata.

My son now has our 2003 Sonata and is loving it after having driving a 2004 Cavalier. Oddly enough, my family is an all Hyundai family. Son-in-law and daughter bought a brand new 2009 Santa Fe the same night we got our new Sonata. They also have a 2002 Sonata four with a stick. We have five Hyundai within three families. Hey, we could be in a commercial!

Last edited by daniel2229; 02-20-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 02-20-2010, 07:01 PM

Does that mean the unit is not integrated with the stereo? I just spent $600 to have this bluetooth installed because they told me this would automatically mute the music and the sound would be through the stereo.

They haven't installed it yet. If that's not the case, I will spend $120 on a Blue Ant Visor unit instead and save $480.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:14 PM

Jamie,

I assume that there are different systems available. If your dealer says it will mute your radio, I would have faith that it will - then confront the dealer if it doesn't.

My system was only a $395 version that may lack some of the features your has.

My radio stills plays when I make a call. I have yet to receive a call, so maybe it will mute on an incoming call. It is a really neat feature. I didn't even realize the car had it until I got home with the car and looked at all the features on the window sticker. Imagine my pleasant surprise!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:56 AM
Default Thanks. Now I know I've been taken for a ride, not a test drive...

Thanks Daniel. Unfortunately there is only one bluetooth option available that is a genuine Hyundai part. Any other is an after market, 3rd party. Some Sonatas come "port" installed meaning already in the car and that is a $325 window sticker option. To have that same unit installed is a $600 option at the dealer where I purchased.

The fact your radio does not mute and it was a sticker option, tells me I need to call the dealer and cancel this option. The only reason I agreed to buy it was because it was "integrated" and the stereo would mute and be the source of the call audio. Sounds like that is definitely not the case.

This will be my 5th Hyundai and I am severely disappointed in dealer knowledge and quality. Sad to say, likely to be my last. Reasons: Rusty body parts, window wind noise, thumpy transmission, misinformation from both dealer and customer relations... not the Hyundai I am used to.