Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Sonata (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/)
-   -   Both front Power windows not working, rear both are fine (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/both-front-power-windows-not-working-rear-both-fine-18872/)

Ovidiu Todoran 12-20-2020 04:19 PM

Both front Power windows not working, rear both are fine

Sonata 2015 Sport
Both front power windows are not responding. They both went bad at basically the same time (I used them 2 days ago; no issues. Today neither works. Both are closed). No sounds are heard when pressing the button.
Both rear ones work fine. The lock button works too (on the rear windows).
Fuses are all good (absolutely all fuses checked, not just those related to the power windows).

I understand the motor or switches could be wrong, but before I start taking the trim apart, anything else I could check? I find it unlikely that both motors/switches would have went bad at the same time.

hanky 12-21-2020 06:40 AM

Sometimes a wire will break/separate in the harness where the harness flexes at the driver's door hinge area. If you can't find any other cause you might try moving the harness while the window switch is depressed and see if you get any kind of response. Of course you can open the harness and pull on each wire .If one feels rubbery , the conductor inside may be broken, which will need to be repaired..

avisitor 12-21-2020 07:03 AM

If you have power then I would check for grounds
May have a bad ground??

Ovidiu Todoran 12-21-2020 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by hanky (Post 60357)
Sometimes a wire will break/separate in the harness where the harness flexes at the driver's door hinge area. If you can't find any other cause you might try moving the harness while the window switch is depressed and see if you get any kind of response. Of course you can open the harness and pull on each wire .If one feels rubbery , the conductor inside may be broken, which will need to be repaired..

I checked. The harness looks great (and changes of both sides failing at the same time seem quite low).

avisitor 12-21-2020 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ovidiu Todoran (Post 60356)
Sonata 2015 Sport
I understand the motor or switches could be wrong, but before I start taking the trim apart, anything else I could check? I find it unlikely that both motors/switches would have went bad at the same time.

Remove everything that is impossible
And no matter how improbable, it must be the truth

Ovidiu Todoran 12-21-2020 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor (Post 60360)
Remove everything that is impossible
And no matter how improbable, it must be the truth

That's exactly what I'm doing. Your quote is not quite accurate though ;)
> “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

hanky 12-22-2020 07:00 AM

Would you tell us how you checked the harness?
Did you cut it open and actually check each wire?
If not, you are only doing part of the job.
It is a circular circuit and if any one part is open , nothing on it will work.

avisitor 12-22-2020 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ovidiu Todoran (Post 60361)
That's exactly what I'm doing. Your quote is not quite accurate though ;)
> “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

I was not quoting.

Ovidiu Todoran 12-24-2020 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by hanky (Post 60364)
Would you tell us how you checked the harness?
Did you cut it open and actually check each wire?
If not, you are only doing part of the job.
It is a circular circuit and if any one part is open , nothing on it will work.

I only opened the harness and visually inspected the wires. They look brand new.
Meanwhile I took off the door panel and checked that I'm getting 12V to the main switch and also verified the ground signal.

Ovidiu Todoran 12-24-2020 05:07 PM

I took the door panel off and I'd like to check all the wires, but I can't find the connector diagrams for the Sonata 2015.
I was only able to find the 2011-2014 ones (see here)

The 2015 one I found (see here) does not show the connector wiring. Any ideas where to find this? The connector is *not* the same, so I cannot use the older year.