Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Check Engine Light + Transmission Stuck in 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Default trans problems

Helo,
Thought i bring this to ur attention. If i understand u correctly, u had ammco spend the time for free and u got it fixed from ur local mec?, thats unethical, wrong...not smart....
I believe if poeple dont know whats wrong & right how will they improve?
Now if i misunderstood u, then i am sorry...

Originally Posted by dell
I bought an Elantra 2001 with 121,000 miles, 3 months back.

2 weeks back, while doing freeways the tranny jerks and goes to third gear.This was very rare. once i restart the engine, the check light goes off and the car is fine.

I got all the fluids refilled and found that tranny was short of 2 quarts. After refilling, after 1 week, the problem became more rampant on freeways, the check engine light used to stay on for 2-3 days.

I took it to the aamco, when the engine light is off, they gave me two codes
P0715
and

So, I bought the input speed sensor and got replaced at local garrage. They didn't reset the battery.

yesterday while doing freeway, the problem reappeared and I restarted the the engine, the check light is gone, the car was fine and i also did a 30 mile drive on freeway.

How important is it to reset the battery and for how long i need to disconnect the battery.
Considering the miles on tranny, can there be any hidden problems?

Old 05-06-2009, 09:03 AM

Im still a student, with my limited means, I dont find it unethical.

Helo,
Thought i bring this to ur attention. If i understand u correctly, u had ammco spend the time for free and u got it fixed from ur local mec?, thats unethical, wrong...not smart....
I believe if poeple dont know whats wrong & right how will they improve?

Old 05-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Banned

You did absolutely nothing wrong. If Aamco wanted to charge you a fee for the inspection, they could have. Also they probably gave you a written estimate in the hopes of making money.