Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Connecting Itouch to 2006 Sonata GLS stock sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Default Connecting Itouch to 2006 Sonata GLS stock sound system?

My finace recently got an Itouch. She would like to play it in her car. Her stereo is stock. It has a single CD player and am/fm radio. it doesn't have a jack on the faceplate. We have considered the attachment that allows you to play it over the radio by matching the frequency but I have heard really mixed reviews on audio quality, signal interference etc.

I would like to hard wire it to the existing radio. I have done some searching on the internet and called some local audio shops but I haven't found anything that will allow me to do this without putting in an entirely new radio. Do any of you have experience with this or have a place on the internet you can recommend?

thanks,
jesse

Old 06-28-2010, 03:29 AM

FM Transmitters can work relatively well depending on what you buy - I myself just purchased a Griffin iTrip Universal Plus.. but I have yet to experience the sound quality.

I've got a 2000 sonata though and the sound quality isn't perfect in the first place - my stereo seems to emit a pretty good amount of background hiss when doing absolutely nothing. Granted, you can't hear that when you're on the road and when something's playing (through CD) it sounds pretty darn good.

Anyway, your best bet would be an FM Transmitter. They're pretty cheap (I got mine for like $8 shipped on ebay), so you don't really have much to lose trying that route. Messing with the harness/internals and such is something that crossed my mind when I figured out that the tape deck is busted (often a better option than FM transmitters).. but I found that route to be tedious and ultimately not worth it.

PS: Should you try an FM transmitter, make sure it's a decent one and make sure you're using it right. 9/10 people that complain about FM transmitters have no idea wtf they're doing

Old 06-28-2010, 02:58 PM

i use a itrip with my sonota and it works great with my itouch and my boyfriends iphone. the only bad thing is at times there is interfearance. i notice it alot when i am following my friend who also is using a itrip...

Old 06-29-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by xracingx
i use a itrip with my sonota and it works great with my itouch and my boyfriends iphone. the only bad thing is at times there is interfearance. i notice it alot when i am following my friend who also is using a itrip...
Yeah, I borrowed a friend's fm transmitter (taking a trip downstate and I need a transmitter before I actually get my iTrip) and it sounds phenomenal (I didn't think it'd sound as good as it does).. but I did notice some interference with another radio station as I drove by the hospital last night. We'll see how it performs on my 2.5 hour trip downstate.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by jesselscott
My finace recently got an Itouch. She would like to play it in her car. Her stereo is stock. It has a single CD player and am/fm radio. it doesn't have a jack on the faceplate. We have considered the attachment that allows you to play it over the radio by matching the frequency but I have heard really mixed reviews on audio quality, signal interference etc.

I would like to hard wire it to the existing radio. I have done some searching on the internet and called some local audio shops but I haven't found anything that will allow me to do this without putting in an entirely new radio. Do any of you have experience with this or have a place on the internet you can recommend?

thanks,
jesse
there is no way to hardwire any audio device on your radio. i have an 07 and had to get a new dash kit, harness and radio so i could hook up my iPod.