Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Sonata (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/)
-   -   Engine blown - Warranty not honored (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/engine-blown-warranty-not-honored-4473/)

NovaResource 06-03-2008 02:15 PM

RE: Engine blown - Warranty not honored

ORIGINAL: dgs

Well anyway, keep us posted. Being a first time Hyundai owner myself, I took a lot of heat from friends and family for buying a Hyundai. I told them how reliable Hyundai has become over the years, but they're response, "I would still never buy a Hyundai, you should have bought a Honda." The last thing I want to do is prove them right. I'm hoping to get at least 10 trouble free years out of my car. It's a little distressing to hear about a new, properly maintained engine go to crap in two years. I will be keeping on top of this thread for a follow-up with what happened to your engine. Good luck!
Hondas are very good cars but they aren't trouble free. They are just overpriced. As for me, I've had 2 trouble-free Hyundais so far not including the other 3 trouble-free Hyundais in my family (mother-in-law and 2 aunts).

dgs 06-03-2008 07:17 PM

ORIGINAL: NovaResource
Hondas are very good cars but they aren't trouble free. They are just overpriced.
No, I absolutely agree! But friends and family seem to think Honda's are immune from problems. They are not very car savy, as a car for them is strictly for transportation from A to B. Honda's are pretty good for an A to B type of car, and usually they are pretty bulletproof reliable. But no car is perfect. If my engine blew up after two years though I would get ribbed so bad. Everyone in my family owns a Honda. Serious, everyone (Accords, Civics, and CR-V's). So they were all mortified when I bought my Sonata. Well obviously I take what my friends and family say with a grain of salt. They mean well, but they are just regurgitating what most people who haven't followed Hyundai's progress over the years say. It's just amazing how far they've come yet so many people think of Hyundai as the same company from the early 80's selling cheap, unreliable cars. I personally think my new Sonata is nicer than any Honda Accord or Civic I've ever been in.

Yeah, I'm not really worried about having any major problems with my car. This is probably an isolated incident, as I've never heard of engines going bad like that on the current generation Sonata. I did a lot of research on this car before I bought it, so I'm pretty up on the history of Hyundai and the Sonata. Still, I can't wait to find out what really happened to that engine. I hope the OP gets it covered and that the dealership and Hyundai do the right thing and take care of his car.

tedtotheworld 06-26-2008 02:36 AM

Make sure you review The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act thoroughly. Basically it states a dealership CAN NOT void your warranty for having your car serviced by anyone other than the dealer. Good luck.

01gtprocket 08-24-2008 11:49 AM

did the dealer do the service on it?\

if so they need to put a new motor if not you need to get a hold of the oil can henry lol and tell them they are you a 3 grand for a new motor or you goig to take them to court

01gtprocket 08-24-2008 11:51 AM

talking about hondas. i think they are way better than hyundia.. I use to have a Honda and i loved it. the only reason i have the hyunida bec it was cheap transportation

Myferrari 08-27-2008 08:24 PM

F-Hyundai service the dealer put reg. dino. oil in our '06 V6 when the manual clearly calls for semi synthetic. Additionally there is a TSB out that states only to use a Hyundai filter and not aftermarket due to aftermarkets supposidly not allowing enough oil pressure. Of course they won't mail us with the TSB. We found out when taking it in for the timing chain tensioner tick at startup. BTW running the Hyundai filter and semi-syn per the manual (and TSB) doesn't make the tick any better.

We have all our oil change receipts/records done at 3k, can't wait for the day we need to use the warranty!!

NovaResource 08-28-2008 06:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Myferrari

F-Hyundai service the dealer put reg. dino. oil in our '06 V6 when the manual clearly calls for semi synthetic.
That is incorrect. The manual DOES NOT call for semi-synthetic engine oil. I personally use full synthetic oil but it (or semi) is not required. Your Hyundai will live a fine and long life on regular changes of conventional oil.

hpysonataownr 09-02-2008 11:26 AM

I used to work parts at ford and chevrolet dealerships and I can tell you that my money's on the svc manager being the culprit. I'll put my money on saying the svc manager talked outta his a$$ to Hyundai telling them that it looked like the oil had never been changed before which resulted in the hooplah about YOU having to pay for the engine replacement. And that now he's not man enough to tell Hyundai he was an idiot! It's happened before. I've watched it!

rallyman 09-02-2008 12:35 PM

I guess we'll never know what happened here as the original poster hasn't been back to the site in almost three months. Who knows if the story is even true. There are some people who have nothing better to do than post fabricated stories making a manufacturer look bad. I'm not saying that is the case here but it's possible.