Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Sonata (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/)
-   -   Miles per gal (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/miles-per-gal-17332/)

greenwood101 11-17-2018 09:05 AM

Miles per gal

I have a 2017 Sonata Hybrid Limited with 57,000 miles sense new I’ve only replaced the air cleaner and for new tires since I have done both my gas mileage has dropped to 38-40 Miles per gallon for the last six or seven months I have removed the air filter for the engine and driven it around for a couple of days the gas mileage did not change still getting 38 miles per gallon if anyone has had this problem I had It corrected let me know. Up until about six months ago I was getting 46 to 48 miles per gallon religiously I am not aggressive driving as I am 82 years old any help someone can give me let me know thank you Fred

allegretto 11-17-2018 08:23 PM

Greenwood: what was the brand and model of tire you used to have and what is the brand and model of tire you have now? Some tires have significantly more resistance than others.

greenwood101 11-17-2018 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by allegretto (Post 55194)
Greenwood: what was the brand and model of tire you used to have and what is the brand and model of tire you have now? Some tires have significantly more resistance than others.

the tires are the same as the factory that came on the car

allegretto 11-17-2018 10:38 PM

About 6 months ago the weather was warmer. Maybe you have turned the heat on. Most hybrids will run the engine when the heat is turned on.
Can you tell if the grille shutter is working?
Beyond that there may be the typical things that increase fuel consumption:
Dragging brakes. Maybe a caliper is stuck and the pads keep making contact.
Carbon build up on the intake valve. I could not confirm if this engine has direct fuel injection. If yes this is a real possibility at this mileage.
Dirty fuel injectors.
Worn spark plugs.
Hybrid battery getting weaker.

hanky 11-18-2018 08:37 AM

A lot of refiners change the gas formulation in anticipation of colder weather and sometimes that will affect mileage.
Just in case you were removing the air filter for the gasoline engine and driving without it, not a good thing to do. Small dust particles can do unbelievable damage to the inside of an engine.

suvlover 11-18-2018 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by greenwood101 (Post 55191)
I have a 2017 Sonata Hybrid Limited with 57,000 miles sense new I’ve only replaced the air cleaner and for new tires since I have done both my gas mileage has dropped to 38-40 Miles per gallon for the last six or seven months I have removed the air filter for the engine and driven it around for a couple of days the gas mileage did not change still getting 38 miles per gallon if anyone has had this problem I had It corrected let me know. Up until about six months ago I was getting 46 to 48 miles per gallon religiously I am not aggressive driving as I am 82 years old any help someone can give me let me know thank you Fred

Cold be winter blend gas ? Change brand of gas for a couple of tanks to see.