Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Sonata (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/)
-   -   Need help trying to get out cv axle part on used transmission (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/need-help-trying-get-out-cv-axle-part-used-transmission-17349/)

wh23g3g 11-27-2018 04:28 PM

Need help trying to get out cv axle part on used transmission

I've decided to try to get an 03 Hyundai Sonata going again that I acquired. It runs good and looks ok, but the transmission is burnt up. I decided to get a used transmission because it's not worth putting $2000 into a remanufactured transmission. The car only has 158,000 miles on it, so I figure if I could get another 50,000-60,000 miles out of it, between the 2 other vehicles I drive I will be good with that. It won't be daily transportation. I got a used transmission with 128,000 miles on it for $140 with a 90 day warranty. It's out of a 2004 of the same engine type. I realized when I get home that the end of the cv axle passenger side is still in the transmission. Is there any special way to get it out? The manual I have says to use a pry bar. I didn't have a pry bar but a big flat head and I couldn't get it to come out at all. Didn't try too much though because I wanted to make sure if there is something special I need to do to get it out first. I thought they just come out, because it's splined. Is there any trick to getting it out? Do they sometimes get stuck like this?

avisitor 11-27-2018 08:27 PM

As far as I know there is a retaining ring on the spline
It should come out of the transmission with a pry bar
Have heard of some people having problems getting the CV axle out of the tranny
Apparently it takes a bump or hit to get it going

Good luck

hanky 11-29-2018 01:27 PM

The ring should be the only thing holding it in there.
Two pry bars on a stubborn shaft usually will do the trick. Placed opposite one another of course.

wh23g3g 11-29-2018 08:57 PM

Someone's going to let me borrow a pry bar since I actually don't have one. I've got tons of tools but no pry bar. I hate to buy a $20 set just to remove one item when I'm trying to save up enough to pay for the labor of installing the transmission. I've got some pretty heavy duty flat heads and I couldn't get it to budge at all. I tried to rest the tip of the screw drive on the lip of the stuck in cv joint half and knock it out with a hammer. But it doesn't budge at all. Of course it's a little harder because I can only do it from the top. I saw someone on youtube make a makeshift tool with some vise grips and a puller adapter on it. I've never had a FWD car that I've had to do this type of work on so I've never come across it. If all else fails hopefully the mechanic who I'm thinking of having install the transmission will get it off for me. I would at least like to change the seals, and possibly even the internal filter before installing the transmission. I think I can tackle that myself to save some on labor.

hanky 11-30-2018 03:27 PM

Some seals require a seal installing tool to do the job right. Suggest you make sure you can install a replacement seal correctly before removing it, if not leaking.

On another note, a good single pry bar alone can go for $20 bucks. If you can get a set for that, make sure you are getting something that is worth the $$$.

wh23g3g 11-30-2018 09:15 PM

Luckily the cv joint end was able to come out without a lot of trouble using an axle puller attachment. Now I will replace the output shaft seals. They don't seem to need to use any special tool to install them according to the manual. It's just a simple flange seal. It appears that having the transmission removed and installed is going to be more expensive than anything else I've had. So I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to get it installed but hopefully before the 90 day warranty runs out on the used transmission. It seems it would cost about the same to remove and install this Hyundai transmission as both of my trucks combined.