Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

New member looking for answers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Default New member looking for answers.

I have a 2005 Mustang GT and find the Mustang forums a great help when searching for information, so I thought I'd give this forum a shot. My Wife has a 2002 Sonata V6 (which we like so much we plan on passing it down to my Daughter this spring) and she's been having trouble filling the tank lately (with a CEL light). We've put over $3,400 into the car over the last two months doing maintenance and fixing the A/C system, so I'm looking for a low cost solution. Now, modern Mustangs (and many other cars from what I'm finding), are notorious for the same problem with filling the tank. I'm finding it's related to the vapor recovery system, in particular the filter for the gas tank. It seams the filter gets clogged and triggers the pump to shut off. My research here seems to indicate similar problems to my wife's Sonata. I'm looking to double check the location of the filter canister. I think it is located behind the driver's side rear wheel. Do I have to remove the wheel well liner? Or is it located elsewhere? I have to admit, I haven't put my head under the car yet, but any light you could send my way would be appreciated.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

This is the thread you'll want to read:
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5971

FYI, here are diagrams of the 2002 Sonata system:

Old 12-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Thumbs up

That's exactly what I needed. Thanks. I knew somebody would have the answers I was looking for.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:10 PM

What code you got ??

Here is a P-0446 last week or so on an EF Sonata -

Pics are of the old canister,,, hoses all moved to new parts..

Replace the canister, canister close valve, and filter as a package deal.. dont want to have to take it down in couples days and replace another part.

Attached Thumbnails New member looking for answers.-pict0739.jpg   New member looking for answers.-pict0741.jpg  
Old 12-14-2010, 09:17 PM

As I mentioned before, I haven't actually put my head under the car yet. I'm still trying to gather information. Were the parts you changed out easily accessible to someone with a floor jack and stands? How much did the parts cost and where did you order them through?
I have a tuner for my Mustang that reads codes (Ford vehicles only) but not Hyundai. My Wife gets home after dark, so I haven't had a chance to run the car down to the corner shop so they could run the code for me.
Given my experience on other vehicles and what I've been able to research regarding the Sonata, I'm assuming (gosh I hate that word) that the CEL is related to the slow fill issue or more directly the vapor recovery system.
Your point on replacing the package makes sense. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by myltlpny
Were the parts you changed out easily accessible to someone with a floor jack and stands?
For the home body, just lay on the floor, cant miss the black plastic louvered box at left rear with metal strap holding it to bottom of car.. I did this one on a rack..

How much did the parts cost and where did you order them through?
Canister is approx $170, close valve $40 maybe, and air filter $10... Dont quote me on the prices though...

Where did I order them ?? These pics are in the dealer service dept... I walked maybe 15yd to the parts counter, and they pulled the parts and charge them to the repair order.. dealer tech here

I have a tuner for my Mustang that reads codes (Ford vehicles only) but not Hyundai.
OBD-II is .GOV mandate.. so if your Ford is 1996 or later, then device should read your Hyundai for codes ideally.

My Wife gets home after dark, so I haven't had a chance to run the car down to the corner shop so they could run the code for me.
Parts stores is open till like 9pm,, around here dark comes at 6:30 or there abouts....

Given my experience on other vehicles and what I've been able to research regarding the Sonata, I'm assuming (gosh I hate that word) that the CEL (correct OBD-II term is MIL) is related to the slow fill issue or more directly the vapor recovery system.
P-0446 is a "I cant breath" code.. canister is restricted

Your point on replacing the package makes sense.
Learn from expperience and past mistakes

Thanks.
Get down to Auto-Zone or Advanced before they close and get a free scan.. make sure you write down the full "P-xxxx" code(s)... I dont need the misc jibberish associated with them.. I know all that from working with them

Old 12-14-2010, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by sbr711
I have a tuner for my Mustang that reads codes (Ford vehicles only) but not Hyundai.
OBD-II is .GOV mandate.. so if your Ford is 1996 or later, then device should read your Hyundai for codes ideally.
The error codes were standardize under OBD-II, but the communication protocols have somewhat proliferated. I understand the protocols even differ between Hyundai and Kia products. Some scanners are very limited with the number of manufacturers they work with. I recently purchased a OBDPro ELM327 scanner that was suppose to be the closest thing to a "universal" scantool, but it came with an list of new protocols (mostly high end models) that it will not work with.