Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata Hybrid stumbling/surge problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Default 2011 Sonata Hybrid stumbling/surge problem

I purchased my Hybrid Premium in May 2011 and for the first 3 weeks, it ran just fine. Then, in stop and go traffic, it began stumbling, hesitating upon acceleration and sometimes surging forward when braking!. This was accompanied by the hybrid malfunction light, engine check light and a flashing
READY light! I took it to a dealer later that day but the service dept. was closed so I came back the next morning. By then, things had settled down, no warning lights and the diagnosis did not show a problem. Then it happened 3 more times, but it would correct itself after a day or two. I took it to the dealer twice more but if the problem is not occurring at the time, the diagnosis does not show a problem. Well, last week it happened again and this time I was able to have the dealer diagnose it with the problem when the warning lights were on. After checking each code, the problem was still there. The service technician found a damaged wire under the front bumper, replaced it but the problem is still there. As I write this, the car is still with the dealer as they try to figure out the problem. It has been one week so far and I am losing my patience. Has anyone else experienced something similar with their hybrid?

Old 07-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Default stumbling, hesitating upon acceleration

I have a Hybrid with the Premium pack and it is stumbling, hesitating upon acceleration and getting around 20 mpg combined. I live in Pensacola, Fl (flat) so the mileage should be better. I am very unhappy with this car and it is my 7th Hyundai/Kia.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Default replaced NLVD sensor

Further to the problem I was having, the sensor for the CEL light was replaced and so far so good.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Default Hyundai Sonata Hybrid warning lights issues

I, too have that problem. In addition to the Malfunction Indicator light, the service indicator light, and the flashing ready light, I also have the battery charging system warning light on and the state of charge battery level shows no charge. It used to stay between half and 75% but now has dropped to less than 25% and after driving about 5 miles drops to show no charge. The car also no longer goes into EV mode. 95% of my driving is highway driving and before these problems it would shift back and forth into EV mode continuously. I have recently begun to experience the engine surging described by some and today it died when I accelerated. I have had it in the shop once when just the malfunction and service indicator lights were on, and Hyundai stated they were aware of the issue but no fix available yet. Today the car was towed to the dealership because I live 150 miles from the nearest one and we weren't sure about driving it that far. Hope they get it fixed. I can't drive 300 miles round trip every time a light comes on. I could I guess, but I don't want to.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:02 AM

Since replacing the NVLD sensor in July, my car has run just fine. The stumbling and warning light problems have not reoccurred.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:15 AM

I've have that replaced twice....it's at a different service dept. at another dealership now. Maybe they'll have better luck.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Default Stumbling; surging

They are replacing the hybrid battery charging system on mine. I also really like the car..... I was getting 40mpg, and had gotten as high as 43mpg on a couple of fills. Also, a lot of people stop to tell me what a beautiful car it is!

Old 09-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Default 2011 KIA Optima Hybrid

I purchased the KIA, when i couldn't find a Hyundai, or get a dealer to sell me one at a fair price...
From the time I purchase it (Around 1st of July), I have dispointed with this vehicle... I hate the jerky felling when I start out...( Feels somewhat like when you are towing a trailer)... It also never get the MPG that it is advertised to get at 35MPG, the most I could ge is 31MPG...
I am in the process of trying to get the dealer to take it back or getting the Factory to buy it back...So far all they tell me is it's normal operation and design, which I say is BAD... So I am working thru the BBB program...We'll see how that goes...

Old 09-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WA7HXZ
I purchased the KIA, when i couldn't find a Hyundai, or get a dealer to sell me one at a fair price...
From the time I purchase it (Around 1st of July), I have dispointed with this vehicle... I hate the jerky felling when I start out...( Feels somewhat like when you are towing a trailer)...
Didn't you test drive it before buying?

Originally Posted by WA7HXZ
It also never get the MPG that it is advertised to get at 35MPG, the most I could ge is 31MPG...
Mileage depends greatly on the driver and the conditions. How did you drive the car? Easily or heavy foot? City or highway? A lot of A/C use?

Old 09-20-2011, 01:04 PM

i am having the same problems. the car ran perfect for the first 2000 miles ,then the surging started and it hardly ever stays in electric mode. the dealer says he can't find the problem. he is blaming poor gas in florida, high humidity, or using the ac. this is BS the car ran great when new without these problems. if anyone figures out how to fix it ,please let me know. don

Quick Reply: 2011 Sonata Hybrid stumbling/surge problem