Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

ESC/ABS issue almost leads to swim in a snowy lake!

Old 03-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Default ESC/ABS issue almost leads to swim in a snowy lake!

So I won't mention the dealership by name or the area it's in even, but it's a hyundai dealership and the owner owns a few other dealerships as well, so I can only imagine the practices being followed at one being handled similarly at others....
I have to begin by saying that I am pretty sure I had a cosigner scam played out on me. I was given a new car with a loan in exchange for my old car and some cash, and then down the road I had to provide paperwork verifying more income, or get a cosigner....So I get the cosigner and all's dandy.
Just today now, barely 4 months since having the car, the ESC/ABS went out mid-drive in the middle of a snow storm, causing me to almost go straight into a mostly thawed snowy lake, only being stopped by a lucky snow bank...the snow bank however cracked my bumper and windshield fluid container, not badly but enough to need replacing. Obviously a bit shook up I head to the dealership and talked to the guy in the shop. He said he could run a diagnostics for me for $1xx, and from there he would be able to quote me on what's wrong with my ESC/ABS, and that obviously none of this was covered by my 100,000 mile power train warranty, and that I was just outside of my 75,000 mile/60 month warranty. The car just rolled over to 76,000 miles, and it's at about 58 months, and also about a month outside of the 3 month dealership grace period. Well isn't that just great how that lined up! Well I talked the service guy to a deal after his pal in a half suit spat all this in my face, and talked them into scanning my codes or whatever for free so I would at least know what's wrong with the car. So he scans it and it's something with the ESC/ABS module, and that it's only a $12 part, but that's $1xx of work for it, and he can't do anything for me about the body work of course. So I get the guy to admit that their unit is faulty and that it's their fault and everything, but even with the general manager, the best they could offer me was ordering this $12 part free of charge, and install it for me for the original quote of the work.
Now, what's more to mention is that I have a Hyundai Sonata 2008. The Hyundai Sonata years 2006, and 2007 both have factory recalls on what's caused my ESC/ABS to not operate properly, as does a large range of other Hyundai vehicles.
So I'm wondering what I should do from here! Should I get my car fixed up, try taking the cost to the dealership and say 'hey, you guys admitted that your unit was faulty and caused me to have an accident, pay up!' Or should I just stomach it? I'm at a loss of what I should do from here, I have a car that caused damage to itself at no fault of the driver, just outside of every warranty possible, but ridiculously begging for a factory recall, and a dealership that sucks marbles!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HeyThere
So I won't mention the dealership by name or the area it's in even, but it's a hyundai dealership and the owner owns a few other dealerships as well, so I can only imagine the practices being followed at one being handled similarly at others....
I have to begin by saying that I am pretty sure I had a cosigner scam played out on me. I was given a new car with a loan in exchange for my old car and some cash, and then down the road I had to provide paperwork verifying more income, or get a cosigner....So I get the cosigner and all's dandy.
What the heck are you talking about? You are a paranoid, conspiracy theorist.

Just today now, barely 4 months since having the car, the ESC/ABS went out mid-drive in the middle of a snow storm, causing me to almost go straight into a mostly thawed snowy lake, only being stopped by a lucky snow bank...the snow bank however cracked my bumper and windshield fluid container, not badly but enough to need replacing.
Driver error. You should be able to drive and control the car even without ABS or ESC. Millions of people used to do that for years before ABS and ESC were created. Just because the ABS and ESC failed in your car doesn't remove the responsibility of you being able to operate the car safely.

Obviously a bit shook up I head to the dealership and talked to the guy in the shop. He said he could run a diagnostics for me for $1xx, and from there he would be able to quote me on what's wrong with my ESC/ABS, and that obviously none of this was covered by my 100,000 mile power train warranty, and that I was just outside of my 75,000 mile/60 month warranty. The car just rolled over to 76,000 miles, and it's at about 58 months, and also about a month outside of the 3 month dealership grace period. Well isn't that just great how that lined up!
The 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty is only for the ORIGINAL OWNER and is only for the POWERTRAIN (i.e. engine/transmission). The rest of the car is only under a 5 year, 60,000 mile warranty which your car is well past.

Well I talked the service guy to a deal after his pal in a half suit spat all this in my face, and talked them into scanning my codes or whatever for free so I would at least know what's wrong with the car. So he scans it and it's something with the ESC/ABS module, and that it's only a $12 part, but that's $1xx of work for it, and he can't do anything for me about the body work of course. So I get the guy to admit that their unit is faulty and that it's their fault and everything, but even with the general manager, the best they could offer me was ordering this $12 part free of charge, and install it for me for the original quote of the work.
Now, what's more to mention is that I have a Hyundai Sonata 2008. The Hyundai Sonata years 2006, and 2007 both have factory recalls on what's caused my ESC/ABS to not operate properly, as does a large range of other Hyundai vehicles.
So I'm wondering what I should do from here! Should I get my car fixed up, try taking the cost to the dealership and say 'hey, you guys admitted that your unit was faulty and caused me to have an accident, pay up!' Or should I just stomach it? I'm at a loss of what I should do from here, I have a car that caused damage to itself at no fault of the driver, just outside of every warranty possible, but ridiculously begging for a factory recall, and a dealership that sucks marbles!
It has nothing to do with the dealer and has everything to do with you.

What should you do from here? First, learn how to drive. Second, suck it up and pay for the damage YOU created. Repairs are part of car ownership and the gamble you take when buying a used car.