Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Question re: maintenance & warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Default Question re: maintenance & warranty

I have a 2009 Sonata, and I'm trying to understand the manual's maintenance schedule. It lists either an "R" or "I" under the various intervals for each component. But the I's are what are confusing me.

For example, most of the general items (page 5-5) are listed as "I" every so many miles, but it never has "R" at what I would expect to be the "maximum" interval you should go before replacing the component.

So my questions are:

1) What's to stop the dealer (or other mechanic) from always recommending me to get, say, the brake pads replaced every 7500 miles?

2) Also, if the manual isn't clear on the "minimum requirements", how do I know what voids my warranty? For all I know, if the brake pads are inspected and never recommended to get fixed (wouldn't happen, I know, but just for example), it wouldn't go against the schedule, as it never states clearly when they should be replaced, only inspected.

3) Why do they list "R" in addition to "I" for some components, and on others, only list "I"?

Another example. I've checked around discussions and articles online, and it seems that it's typical to replace the transmission fluid every 30k miles, but according to the manual, this should be inspected every 15k miles, and at the minimum, flushed and replaced at 105k miles. So how, without having a background knowledge of typical transmission maintenance, would I know that it should typically get replaced every 30k miles? Just trust the dealer/mechanic, and always go with what they recommend?

And these are just a couple examples -- I have the same questions regarding all the other components that only list "I"s, such as brake fluid, refrigerant, etc.

Of course, I realize much of this is based on environmental conditions and driving habits, but it would still be nice to have a "rule of thumb" guide based on average driving conditions, if for no other reason than to prevent my dealer from trying to replace it at every "I", and to keep me from going too long and voiding my warranty.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:37 PM

1) Hopefully some shred of honesty and ethics. If you won't be doing any of the basic maintenance yourself then you need to find someplace you can trust. It might be your dealer or it might be a local mechanic. Ask around to find who others use and trust if you don't already have a favourite shop. You don't have to service your car with the Hyundai dealer to maintain the warranty but it doesn't hurt to do so if you trust them and may help down the road if you need some warranty repairs done.

2) If there is no replacement interval specified it's because the item doesn't need to be replaced at specific intervals to maintain the warranty and will need to be replaced or serviced based on wear or age. Using your example of brake pads, for one driver they may last 30,000 miles for another 100,000 miles. Any competent mechanic will be able to tell when these items need service/replacement.

3) The items that only list 'I' generally will only need service/replacement on an 'as needed' basis so just need inspection at the specified intervals. Others may specify 'R' at certain intervals which means they must be replaced but only require inspection at the intervals in between. An example would be the air filter. The manual may require replacement every two years or 30,000 miles but an inspection before that time/distance passes may reveal that the filter should be changed early (maybe due to driving in very dusty conditions).

Old 08-20-2011, 07:12 PM

I am also considering changing my manual tranny oil. It is an '09 with 40K.

I am also a bit confused with the recommended maintenance schedule.

I have heard very good things about amsoil products and would like to use it.

What do you folks here recommend. The car is driven primarily by my wife. I would consider it easy to average driving. No towing, no extended high speeds (over 80).

My gut feeling is that the recommended 30K interval is a little overkill, but, then agian, it's cheap and easy to replace. Does anyone think the amsoil synthetic is worth the extra money, if it is infact much more expensive.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

I would do 30K for the manual but that's just me.

As for Amsoil, the only people that rave about it are those selling it. It's not bad, but it's overpriced and no better than other synthetic that is much easier to get.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
I would do 30K for the manual but that's just me.

As for Amsoil, the only people that rave about it are those selling it. It's not bad, but it's overpriced and no better than other synthetic that is much easier to get.
can you recommend a product? my owners manual says i really need to use the hyundai 75/85 weight stuff. i am sure it is perfectly fine, but, i suspect it is also overpriced.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by pete c
can you recommend a product? my owners manual says i really need to use the hyundai 75/85 weight stuff. i am sure it is perfectly fine, but, i suspect it is also overpriced.

Mobil1. It's what my local Hyundai dealers use. Just got my Accent's oil changed (2012), and asked what type of oil, and that they use Mobil.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mobil1 is also what I use.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:38 PM

To make it simple, decide if you are drivy "Severe"~ city stop and go traffic or "Normal" ~ salesman on highways. If you are "Severe" then more maintenance frequency is recommended. Sounds like you don't do your own maintenance. Suggestion - find a honest mechanic or better yet take a class in automotive mechanics and learn about cars. I did at age 16 decades ago and it's provided me confidence to do what I can and quickly determine which mechanics were shady.