Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Sonata (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/)
-   -   Smart key and the sonata (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/smart-key-sonata-10661/)

smlindeman 04-03-2011 05:44 PM

Smart key and the sonata

I've recently started having troubles with my 2011 Sonata LE after about a year of owning it.

The last few times I have tried to start it using the push button it wont actually start. It will go into ACC mode where I can listen to the radio but it won't turn on. On the console it shows a orange car symbol with a key in the middle of it. After this happened a few times I finally got it to start. I figured it was just acting up and forgot about it. Now its doing it every time.

I tried using the spare smart key I have and the car started fine with it. I figured maybe it was the battery that was weak. Kinda weird considering I was told the battery was supposed to last 10 years and the cars supposed to prompt when the battery is weak. My car started fine and I thought it was the end of it.

Now my car wont start at all with either of the smart keys. I tried putting the smart key in the ignition slot in the center console and it wont work that way either. I put it in and it says to "Press brake pedal to start the engine". No luck. The only way I can get my car started is with my remote starter. Its kind of annoying though having to use my remote starter every time I want to drive anywhere.

Anyone got any insight into why this is happening? Maybe the guy who installed my remote starter screwed something up? I got it installed in january and the car has been running fine since then so Im kinda hesitant to believe its that. I figured I would ask here before I bring it to the dealership. Thanks

NovaResource 04-04-2011 09:32 AM

It could be any number of problems. Your car is still under warranty. Go back to the dealer and have them find the problem for free.

Mr. Peabody 04-04-2011 02:48 PM

My 2011 SE has a slot in the center console after you open the 2nd lid, where once a week you slide the smart key in and it recharges while you drive.

Is this unique to the SE?

entpha@gmail.com 04-15-2011 03:45 PM

4-15-11
This describes exactly the problem my wife had with her car starting on 4-12-11. Her car is 6 months old with aprox 11,000 miles. We called the dealership and were told it was probably a faulty brake sensor switch and would take about 30 min to replace. She took it in today and was told it would be 1PM before they could service it. She is now back on the road---all fixed

tjbdallas 03-16-2012 04:27 PM

I had the exact same problem. It was the brake sensor switch. Took the dealer about 30 min. to replace it.

Seems like there is more than the average number of switch failures. Fortunately for most new buyers this will happen within the initial warranty time period. When it happened to me I had our son come by with the spare fob. Didn't make any difference. Finally after almost a half hour of repeated attempts the car started. When I called Hyundai the next day they pretty much knew exactly what it was.

Terry

zeighty 03-19-2012 07:51 AM

According to our dealer and the manual, the key fob slot on our 2011 Turbo Limited does not charge the battery in the key fob.
Does your manual state that it does?

NovaResource 03-19-2012 08:05 AM

The slot does not charge the fob. It's just a physical connection to the computer instead of wireless connection.

mitch7675 04-07-2014 02:03 PM

Did your dealer fix the problem?

I have the same problem now. 2011 sonata LE 41500 miles.

It has been 4 times I droped the car to my dealer and they couldn't solve the problem.

In my case, the key is not working at all. The car doesn't recognize the key.

I hope I can hear from you You solved the problem.

Thank you,
Mitchell:(

tjbdallas 04-08-2014 07:58 PM

Fixed!

It's been 2 years since I posted my findings and I've never had another problem with the car not starting. The Brake sensor switch was definitely the culprit.

Terry