Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Sonata (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/)
-   -   Sonata 2006 Engine won't start (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/sonata-2006-engine-wont-start-2864/)

manelito 07-29-2007 05:26 PM

Sonata 2006 Engine won't start

hi,
During the last weeks there have been sometimes where the car engine won't start. It makes no sound, no crank. The bahavior is the one you see when you try to start the engine on Reverse or Drive. After at least 30 minutes of waiting, it starts normally. In my opinion it seems to be an anti-theft system issue. It has been impossible to recreate this issue by myself when getting the car to the dealer. This happens whenyou least expect it. Have anyone of you experienced this same issue? Thanks.

WheelBroker1 07-29-2007 11:13 PM

RE: Sonata 2006 Engine won't start

Hello New Member and welcome to the forum..I myself have never had that kind of problem..but! maybe someone else will come in and tell you the answer:

WheelBroker1

mechanic98 07-31-2007 11:12 AM

When you turn the ignition, do the lights come on the instrument panel? It might be a loose connection to the battery, make sure it is free from corrosion, and has a good contact... Or it could actually be the ignition switch. What year/model is it, miles?

manelito 07-31-2007 09:00 PM

All devices that need current from battery work properly when this happens. (Radio, headlights, horn, panel lights, etc.)

The Dancing Bear 02-29-2012 03:19 PM

Same problem

Mine has the same problem. 2006 Sonata. It has over 138 K mi. on the odometer, & I am the original owner.It has been doing this for several MONTHS now. ( Incidentally it doesen't seem like it does it as much when the outside temps are warm.)

I pulled the battery ( first thing in the morning, didn't try starting,just pulled it out.) & had it tested at the local auto parts place, their tester showed it was ok. Took it home, cleaned the terminals, & cables, tightened it all back down.....nothing!!! All dash indicator lights & accs's work ok. Put the battery charger on ,hit the "boost" ,not 30 sec. later hit the key, & it started. It has become somewhat of a bad joke to see if it will start first thing or need the charger to "assist it". I mean literally 30 sec. & you can fire that sucke right up !!! If it was a battery, or terminals I could see it, but this is a bit much. I have seen elsewhere, that there is a buss bar (some place) that ties the ignition switch to a starter relay (where ?), the neutral safety switch, & the anti theft crap. The intermittent part is what drives me nuts.

Anybody know where I can get the Hyundai maintenance data / electrical diagram for this problem ???:mad:

NovaResource 03-01-2012 07:49 AM

I'd check the cables. Not just the terminals where they attach to the battery but the whole cable. The resistance in both cables and where the attach to the vehicle.