Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Sonata (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/)
-   -   Sonata Hybrid Recalls TG5, TG6, & TG8 (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/sonata-hybrid-recalls-tg5-tg6-tg8-11653/)

fishnrib 10-20-2011 09:07 PM

Sonata Hybrid Recalls TG5, TG6, & TG8

Service Campaigns for October
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnrib
My service rep said that I would receive a letter in the mail very soon about this TSB and then they will order the new part. It is also going to have many computer updates to fix the charging, stumbling and low city mpg.

I got all the October Service Campaigns TG5, TG6, and TG8 completed yesterday. The ICE stays on for the first 5 minutes to warm up the engine to help the stumbling some have experienced. The EV has about a 3 second delay before coming on when you take your foot off the pedal. It was faster off the line and experienced a 7 mile very smooth ride home in 25-35 mph city with 28.5 mpg.

The Service Campaign Notice from Hyundai came in the mail yesterday. Hyundai is giving a $50 cash gift card for the inconvenience of bring it in for service.

You will know more about recall notices here than asking your dealer. If you call your service rep and have him call up your VIN on the computer then he will find out that there are outstanding service campaigns on your car.

fishnrib 11-08-2011 02:33 PM

November Recall TI2 for all Sonata Hybrids DOB < Nov 2011

Quote from Car Tech Dude

Hello to all.

There is a new campaign TI2 and everyone on this site for this issue should return to dealer to get it done it is an important improvement for this issue.

TSB is 01-11-049 and it is entitled HEV HPCU Interlock Circuit Connector Installation.

It replaces 2 high voltage connectors at the HPCU to make sure they have robust connection.

Along with the TG5 Multi-ECU Update that most of you probably have it provides the complete improvement to prevent this issue.

Sorry another trip to dealer but all this took allot of investigation and piecing things together to finally arrive at the best combination of solution which now you will have with the TG5 and TI2 campaign updates.

Those that contacted me private to help with repair of their vehicle received this already thanks for evaluating its effectiveness now we can let Vinny out of the silence box on this issue he kindly cooperated until it was officially released

Enjoy driving your cars guys without this issue and sorry you had to bear an infancy issue with a new vehicle. It is a beautiful car I drive it allot don't want to give back and change for another even though in my position I can drive any Hyundai car when I wish.

Fuel economy is good it is worth paying the extra for this car especially the way it looks and drives more like normal car than typical cookie cutter Hybrids with CVT.

tpeeler 01-31-2012 10:49 AM

I had all the "recalls", etc performed on my hybrid in October. That still didn't stop it from not starting due to bad battery cables and terminals at the end of November. Since the new connectors were done in November, the mileage has been deplorable. I am lucky if the display notes an average of 28 MPG. The irony is that if I do a mileage calculation the "old fashioned way" by calculating it manually, the mileage is even less. (never have gotten the EPA average of 35/40 on the vehicle)

Dealer says there are no outstanding TSBs, etc. on the vehicle and they don't have any explanation.

In addition, when I fill the tank fully, the display notch is not at the "full" level. However, I can drive it around for 10-15 minutes, and in one case 2 days later, and the "notch" will suddenly display that the tank is now "full". How can any MPG be accurate if the tank fill is not even accurate?

Anyone else having these issues and any input on what this could be?

thanks

NovaResource 01-31-2012 11:15 AM

Did you have the specific campaigns done or just other "recalls"?

tpeeler 02-03-2012 10:26 AM

All recalls and TSBs. I've had the NVLD done twice, all the ECU updates, battery cables/terminals replaced after the car left me stranded, etc.

DM1111 02-06-2012 02:32 PM

hybrid mpg

I have had all the recalls done and my car is still getting terrible gas mileage. I get between 16 and 21 mpg tops. I would have gotten better mpg with the regular sonata and saved myself thousands. I really wish I had purchased the Prius. Now I can't even sell this car because who wants a hybrid that only gets between 16 and 21 mpg.

NovaResource 02-06-2012 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by DM1111 (Post 41701)
I have had all the recalls done and my car is still getting terrible gas mileage. I get between 16 and 21 mpg tops. I would have gotten better mpg with the regular sonata and saved myself thousands. I really wish I had purchased the Prius. Now I can't even sell this car because who wants a hybrid that only gets between 16 and 21 mpg.

Here's an interesting report from Popular Mechanics. Granted this is for the Elantra but the complaint is the same as some of you have with the Sonata: not acheiving the claimed fuel economy. Take a read:

Mileage Moment of Truth - We Put 40 Mpg Claims to the Test - Popular Mechanics

Mileage Moment of Truth: We Put 40 Mpg Claims to the Test
By Ben Wojdyla

The 2012 Hyundai Elantra and Ford Focus SFE are among 20-plus cars that now claim 40 mpg highway. But given the peculiar way in which the EPA calculates its fuel economy estimates, do those mileage numbers truly reflect real-world driving? We tested the Elantra and Focus on the streets and roads of Michigan to find out, with some surprising results.

Gas prices remain stubbornly high, and the economy is still lagging. Carmakers are responding to consumer demand for smaller, more efficient cars (and to stringent government fuel-economy standards) with a raft of vehicles claiming an astonishing 40-mpg highway rating. When a gallon of gas first topped $4 in 2008, only the Toyota Prius and the Honda Civic Hybrid got over 40 mpg on the highway; now there are more than 20 cars able to achieve that kind of mileage. Over the past 12 months we've tested a variety of 40-mpg cars and have regularly missed hitting the window-sticker figures. Others have cried foul as well. Last December, a nonprofit group called Consumer Watchdog sent a ­letter to the Environmental Protection Agency suggesting that the Hyundai Elantra's rated fuel economy (29 city and 40 highway) was erroneously high. Perhaps, we wondered, the auto­makers had found a way to game the EPA's test. Then again, we're also ­keenly aware that driving behavior has a pronounced effect on fuel economy. So which is it? Are the cars overstating their ­efficiency, or are aggressive drivers like us distorting the results with our lead feet? We obtained a 2012 Hyundai Elantra and another 40-mpg car, the Ford Focus SFE, and did our own fuel-economy test. The results proved surprising.

The Test

It's hard to replicate the real world in a lab. But since 1975, the EPA has published test procedures that carmakers follow to determine the city and highway fuel-economy figures found on new-car window stickers (see "Behind the EPA Numbers" below). Over the years, these tests—which are performed on dynamometers—and their corresponding calculations have been refined to better approximate real-world results. The latest update was in 2008, when the EPA included air-conditioning usage and its correction factors to bring down the window-sticker numbers.

For our testing, we specifically didn't want to replicate the way the EPA tests cars. This wasn't just for the sake of being contrarian, but because we wanted­ to test the cars the way any reader might be able to, which meant driving the cars on the road. We were mainly after the highway-fuel-economy figure, but we also did a city-driving loop. The highway route took a nice big lap around the city of Detroit, twice. It was a lot of seat time, but at about 133 miles, a good distance to get a real-world average. We ran the highway test at both 55 mph and 70 mph, and to avoid traffic variables, we drove in the middle of the day, when fewer cars were on the road. The city course was a meandering in-town 64.5-mile route up into the northern suburbs of Rochester Hills and back down along the riverfront, then up historic Woodward Avenue.

Accurately measuring the miles driven and the gallons consumed is tricky. In-car odometers often don't match brand to brand, so we relied on the $570 PerformanceBox from Racelogic and its more accurate GPS-based distance measurement (we also used this to average our speed). Tracking the gallons used is similarly prickly. The procedure most people use is to top off the fuel tank at every gas stop and ­simply record the miles. According to Hyundai, however, variations in ambient conditions can result in one fill-up being as much as a half-gallon less than the next at the same pump. So to find out exactly­ how much fuel was used, we weighed the cars precisely before and after driving. Each gallon of standard E10 gasoline weighed in at 6.4 pounds, so if we drove 80 miles on the highway and the cars achieved 40 mpg, then they should be 12.8 pounds lighter than at the start—a simple but effective method.

Results

Counter to our original hypothesis, both cars demonstrated significantly­ better fuel economy than advertised. Cruising along at 55 mph on the highway, our cars easily cleared 40 mpg and, astonishingly, approached 50. At higher speeds, with greater aerodynamic drag, the cars were still very efficient. They didn't quite get 40 mpg, but they were close. City results were equally­ impressive, with each into the mid-30s. Bear in mind that we made no effort to be overly frugal—no drafting, no excessive coasting—and we made a point to keep up with traffic. Sure, we were a little light with the pedal, but slowpokes we were not.

What, then, should we make of our own previous fuel-economy tests and the cries of Consumer Watchdog? To put it simply, your results will vary, and that is why the window-sticker figures are called estimates. For our test, we simply concentrated a little more on thrifty driving than usual, and it was 40 F outside, so we didn't use the air conditioning. There will never be a lab test that can cover all environmental variables or account for how differently we all drive. But these two cars demonstrate that with very little behavior modification, 40 mpg is quite a realistic figure. Not only is it easy to achieve, it's easy to surpass, even under less than ideal conditions. If you choose a car with a high-economy claim and drive within reason, you should be able to match those window-sticker figures. Considering that these cars are also decent performers on the road, the benefit of this high-efficiency engineering really goes to consumers, who are apparently getting more than they've bargained for.

The Fuel-Economy Equation

Many factors determine efficiency—not the least of which is how aggressive you are on the throttle. Still, things like vehicle size, weight, and shape; road friction; outside temperature; aerodynamic drag; and losses in the powertrain all play important roles. Collectively, these factors are known as a vehicle's road load. We've created a simplified version of the road-load equation. Notice how velocity is squared in the equation, meaning each additional mph has a greater impact on your mpg.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/p...05-0212-de.jpg

Behind the EPA Numbers

Getting the window-sticker fuel-economy estimates starts with a car strapped on a dynamometer, which positions the car's drivewheels on a giant computer-controlled rolling pin. A technician operates the car following prescribed acceleration and speed curves. There are five different test procedures: city cycle, highway cycle, air conditioning on, high-speed driving, and cold starting for carbon monoxide emissions. All currently use 100 percent gasoline, something consumers generally cannot buy because 10 percent ethanol mix is what most pumps dispense. Flow meters measure fuel consumed, and the exhaust gas is collected for emissions measurements.

The tests are surprisingly slow and short—the longest is 11 miles, and the highest average speed is 48 mph. In this scenario, cars get much higher fuel economy than what's advertised to consumers. To adjust that perfor­mance toward real-world figures, the EPA applies mathematical formulas to determine the final numbers on the window sticker. Further complicating matters is that for the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE), the government uses the uncorrected data. For the CAFE, our Elantra gets 56.5 mpg highway, but after correction the window sticker says 40 mpg. Complicated?

We think so, too.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/p...03-0212-de.jpg

PM Mileage Test at a Glance

We took two closely matched, high-mileage vehicles on multiple test loops to see if they could hit their EPA window-sticker numbers on real roads. We found that if you're willing to ease the pedal off the metal, these sippers outperform the ratings.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/p...04-0212-de.jpg
Bottom line: The Elantra got BETTER fuel economy than the EPA ratings. So if you aren't getting the EPA numbers with your Sonata, the problem is NOT the car. The problem is THE DRIVER and/or the enviroment you drive.

Jim Denny 02-08-2012 11:45 AM

Just got the recalls updated. The car was giving us a few problems and had a couple of quirks, nothing that would make me part with it. But my gas mileage had suddenly dropped so I took it in. I think they did a software update also, because the quirks are gone and it is even better to drive now. We really like this car, it is very comfortable, good looking and handles well.
Next month I am trading in our Nissan Versa for the Velositer. To bad they don't make a pickup or ragtop. Dependability, comfort and accessories keep us coming back. Value for the dollar is good also.

fishnrib 04-19-2012 09:57 PM

Found the Sweet Spot for Hybrid Max MPG

I dropped my wife off at the hairdresser and she wanted me to get some gas. She gets 25 MPG the way she drives around town. I tried turning Blue Drive off and drove about 10 city miles to the gas station and got 37.1 mpg. It seems like I don't coast as far as with Blue on but I would normally get about 32 mpg.

Ten mile fairly flat freeway track results at different speeds with Hyundai Oil, 34 psi, cruise control and ac on with 70 deg weather. Avg MPG reset before each run with a warmed up ICE:

65 mph = 42.2 mpg
62 mph = 47.3 mpg
60 mph = 53.7 mpg :)
55 mph = 50.0 mpg

What's your Sweet Spot?

NovaResource 04-20-2012 06:49 AM

Proof actual fuel economy depends greatly on how you drive.