Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Sonata (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/)
-   -   Timing belt and counter balance belt (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/timing-belt-counter-balance-belt-4899/)

Rhondas 10-08-2008 07:53 AM

Timing belt and counter balance belt

When a Timing belt job is done on a 2001 4 cyl sonata , should the mechanic replace the counter balance belt also I had my belt done at 56K , Now I hear a noise at 107K , so If I have the job done what ball park figure $$$$$are we talking about in price for such a job.

ken99 10-08-2008 01:48 PM

RE: Timing belt and counter balance belt

When a Timing belt job is done on a 2001 4 cyl sonata , should the mechanic replace the counter balance belt
There is no counter balance belt on the engine. I think the counter balance shafts are gear driven off the oil pump drive. There are 2 drive belts serving the water pump, air conditioning compressor and the power steering pump.

Now I hear a noise at 107K , so If I have the job done what ball park figure $$$$$are we talking about in price for such a job.
I would have the noise diagnosed before automatically spending money on a timing belt replacement. The noise may be unrelated to the timing belt, which can still wait ~9K miles before replacing it. If dealing with the noise means partially disassembling the engine, yes, you could have the belt replaced now. Timing belt replacement cost? $300 to 500 depending on where you have your work done, an independent mechanic or a Hyundai dealership.

Rhondas 10-08-2008 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: ken99

When a Timing belt job is done on a 2001 4 cyl sonata , should the mechanic replace the counter balance belt
There is no counter balance belt on the engine. I think the counter balance shafts are gear driven off the oil pump drive. There are 2 drive belts serving the water pump, air conditioning compressor and the power steering pump.

Now I hear a noise at 107K , so If I have the job done what ball park figure $$$$$are we talking about in price for such a job.
I would have the noise diagnosed before automatically spending money on a timing belt replacement. The noise may be unrelated to the timing belt, which can still wait ~9K miles before replacing it. If dealing with the noise means partially disassembling the engine, yes, you could have the belt replaced now. Timing belt replacement cost? $300 to 500 depending on where you have your work done, an independent mechanic or a Hyundai dealership.

Thanks Ken but I found different information on the counter balance belt on the Hyundai shop manual, here it is its there see picture.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6342/67A7607764794A38A74CD886FA604118.jpg[/IMG]

ken99 10-08-2008 09:51 PM

Thanks Ken but I found different information on the counter balance belt on the Hyundai shop manual
You are right and I stand corrected. I pulled up the diagram for the oil pump.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4972/067AD3936EF84A8F843CED4CCED2B370.gif[/IMG]

It appears the counter balance shafts are coming off the oil pump gearing. The diagram you refer to shows "timing belt B" driving a "counter shaft", but I found another reference that confirms this is the right side counter balance shaft.

I would still have the noise identified before automatically replacing both timing belts.

Rhondas 10-15-2008 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: ken99

Thanks Ken but I found different information on the counter balance belt on the Hyundai shop manual
You are right and I stand corrected. I pulled up the diagram for the oil pump.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4972/067AD3936EF84A8F843CED4CCED2B370.gif[/IMG]

It appears the counter balance shafts are coming off the oil pump gearing. The diagram you refer to shows "timing belt B" driving a "counter shaft", but I found another reference that confirms this is the right side counter balance shaft.

I would still have the noise identified before automatically replacing both timing belts.
Thanks Ken
but did you think the counter balance belt should also be replaced with a new timing belt while its all opened?

ken99 10-15-2008 07:09 PM

did you think the counter balance belt should also be replaced with a new timing belt while its all opened?
Quite simply, yes.