Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Trying to fix my brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Default Trying to fix my brake noise

My 2014 Sonata is making some sort of sound while braking. It is as if my brakes are being blocked by some object. The brakes are working fine. It is the noise is worrying me. I used these steps to check my brakes How To Diagnose Brake Noises | Service Plus 416 : Toronto Automotive Garage. I did everything mentioned in that blog and I couldn't fix it. Am I missing out on something? or is it something other than the brakes?

Old 02-23-2016, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Could be a stuck caliper or just something that got wedged between the pads and the rotor. I would suggest pulling off each wheel and at least doing a physical inspection of the pad thicknesses and rotor surfaces. Especially the inside pad and rotor surfaces that cant bee seen with the wheel in place.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:21 PM

That blog didn't tell you to take the wheel off and check the brakes.
It just said to listen to your brakes.

Better to do as Nova Resource says and actually take a good look at your brakes to see what may be making that noise.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by avisitor
That blog didn't tell you to take the wheel off and check the brakes.
That isn't a surprise. They want you to come to their shop for taking the wheels off and then sell you new material all round ...

I'm missing a description of the 'noise'. There's plenty of descriptive words like screetching, whistling, grinding, humming a.s.f. - and a description if e.g. the noise is changing with the amount of force applied to the pedal.

I'd suggest to drive with all windows down, then listen and find out from which of the 4 corners the noise is coming.

Then take off the wheel and inspect. Honestly I don't know if a 2014 model still uses the piece of metal on the inner pad (like a little leaf spring) that is designed for making noise when brake applied in case of the pad worn.
How many miles do you have on your current brake hardware ? May it just be that your pads are worn and the noise is supposed to tell you 'new pads please !' ?

Just a side story: 'Bout 12 years ago I spent vacation in southern France with a relatively new BMW 3series (E46) when suddenly I had the impression of a bird constantly chirping from my right front wheel well.

Taking the wheel off brought the solution within minutes: I had become victim of the cheapo french way of rural road renewal: spray some liquid tar on the ground, dump a load of gravel on it and go for lunch, wine or whatever ...
One of these tar-coated gravelstones found its way between rotor and splash guard and wouldn't fall off anymore - the tar acting like a glue, just like on the road.

Attached Thumbnails Trying to fix my brake noise-tar-gravelstone.jpg  
Old 03-01-2016, 01:36 PM
Former Site Vendor

Originally Posted by e3tom
That isn't a surprise. They want you to come to their shop for taking the wheels off and then sell you new material all round ...

Agreed, a shop blog does not want you to find the problem. They want you to come in and have the vehicle looked at. It is the same principle of any business blog/website/social media. I would take the wheels off and dig a little deeper as everyone else has said.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:30 PM

I got it fixed guys! It was the issue with my rotor. One of my friends came over and help me fix it.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:37 AM

Can you share a little more information on the nature of the problem resolved ?

Old 03-04-2016, 02:09 PM
Former Site Vendor

I am glad to hear it was an easy fix!

Old 03-07-2016, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by e3tom
Can you share a little more information on the nature of the problem resolved ?
My friend drove my car first and he started applying brakes at different speeds. He checked my rotor and said that it was wearing off and we replaced it.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:29 PM

Sounds like you don't drive your car long enough to keep the rust off your rotors.
And the rust builds up and flakes off. Most of the time it is on the inner side of the rotor which makes it harder to spot.
If your replaced the rotors then Hope you replaced the pads also.
Don't forget to clean the rust off the caliper bracket which holds the pads.

Quick Reply: Trying to fix my brake noise