Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Sonata (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/)
-   -   Warranty/oil change interval (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/warranty-oil-change-interval-5750/)

maestronole 02-08-2009 05:29 PM

Warranty/oil change interval

Have been driving my '09 for almost 3 months now and am reaching 5000. The maintenance calendar recommends oil change & filters etc. at 7500 as do most folks. bUt at the bottom of the maintenance calendar there seems to be the old fashioned recommended oil every 3k/3mo. so have i voided my warranty already or what?

jsinton 02-08-2009 05:57 PM

I'll assume you have the 3.3L V6 engine, which oddly recommends oil changes at 7500. However, if you read under the "severe service" specifications, you'll notice it says the cars driven on "salted" roads qualify as "severe service", which is just about most of the cars in the US. Therefore, if they want to be stinkers about it, yes you voided the warranty.

I can't bring up the 2009 Owner's manual from hmaservice, or I could give you a better answer, basically the maintainance schedule is all there. Read it carefully.

The way around you problem is this: Warranty is still valid if you do the work yourself, or you go to another shop at the specified schedule. All you have to do is keep a "log" and document the service performed. So make yourself a "log" and fill in the pertinent information.

Mind you, the 3.3 has a non conforming oil filter with two "o" rings, so it's not a thing you take to Jiffy lube.

maestronole 02-08-2009 06:31 PM

Sorry. I have a 4 cylinder w/ automatic. This is based on what I saw logging in to the hyundai owners site which doesnt seem super reliable.

jsinton 02-08-2009 06:59 PM

The 2.4 is a 3k oil change interval. But like I said, chances are your car is "severe service" anyhow.

maestronole 02-08-2009 07:54 PM

It says 7500 in the manual, or 3000 with severe service.

I'm curious about that salted road thing though. Pretty much none of the other things apply. This is a commuter car, it spends 90% of the time on the highway going 65-70. In south florida winter. (70 F outside)

ken99 02-08-2009 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by maestronole (Post 19561)
Have been driving my '09 for almost 3 months now and am reaching 5000. The maintenance calendar recommends oil change & filters etc. at 7500 as do most folks. bUt at the bottom of the maintenance calendar there seems to be the old fashioned recommended oil every 3k/3mo. so have i voided my warranty already or what?

My daughter just took her 09 GLS , purchased last September, in for an oil change at the 7,500 mile mark. The Hyundai dealer she took it to said nothing about needing severe interval oil changes. Go talk to the service manager at your dealership and ask that they clarify the interpretation. I suspect many dealers have been talking out both sides of their mouths on this issue, letting oil changes go the full 7,500 miles (because they don't make that much money on them), but insisting on the severe service schedule when it comes time for coolant and tranny flushes (because they are more profitable).

jsinton 02-08-2009 08:09 PM

Well, of course in S. Florida, there is no salt on the roads. So I guess you ok. Just follow the specs.