Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Wheel Rust

Old 09-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Default Wheel Rust

My 2007 Sonata with the standard 16" steel wheel / plastic wheel cover setup is surprising me with what seems to be an unusual amount of rusting of all 4 of the steel wheels visible through the spaces between the plastic wheel cover "spokes".

I've scanned this and other Hyundai forums as well as the web generally and haven't seen anybody else reporting this. While this is probably not a big deal, it does make my otherwise nice looking car look like it's been in a flood. (which it hasn't)

I'm curious as to whether anybody else is seeing this issue. I live in Delaware, USA and our climate is 4-season but not extreme. I can't think of any explanation other than maybe a batch of wheels not finished effectively to spec. Also possibly worth noting is that my car was produced at the Alabama, US plant.

Anybody else see this?

Old 09-14-2010, 10:51 AM

Normal exposure to the elements... Heat radiate from braking, hot steel wheel, brake dust with metallic content, add water/miosture..

Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 PM

I noticed the same thing on a relative's 2008 Sonata. I'd view this as not an
isolated thing. Evidently some corners were cut in painting the wheels.

Probably a good reason to replace the wheels with some factory alloys which I did on both my Sonatas. I hate those steel wheels and plastic wheel covers. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by rmissourimule
I hate those steel wheels and plastic wheel covers. Ugly, ugly, ugly.
Until you gots to replace an alloy when you crack it up in the snow (if it happens to snow where you are... I like watching news when south gets snow and cars slide all over the place..

Keep them steel wheels for winter use.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by sbr711
Until you gots to replace an alloy when you crack it up in the snow (if it happens to snow where you are... I like watching news when south gets snow and cars slide all over the place..

Keep them steel wheels for winter use.
Been living here for over nine years with no snow or ice. I can always pick up an extra wheel on ebay. I have about seven wheels in my shed I would love to give away for a song along with a whole passel of them ugly plastic hub caps.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Banned

i'd just sandblast it, repaint it and be done with it. but thats just me, i don't care about something trivial like a wheel looking perfect.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:24 AM

Hi. My 2009 Hyundai Sonata wheels are rusting like crazy! Pisses me off the amount of money I've spent to get this car and to have these issues. I have gone to my dealership and waiting on their response on what to do. Maybe I shoul d have gone with Honda.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kg4zxk
Hi. My 2009 Hyundai Sonata wheels are rusting like crazy! Pisses me off the amount of money I've spent to get this car and to have these issues. I have gone to my dealership and waiting on their response on what to do. Maybe I shoul d have gone with Honda.
The amount of money you spent? If your Sonata has steel wheels then you have a fairly basic model that only about $18K tops. That's not much for a Sonata. And ALL steel wheels rust because of the brake heat, rain and road salt. Even Honda steel wheels rust.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:14 AM
Default Rust...

I've never seen wheels rust this quickly. I see other Sonatas that are older in this area that don't have this issue with their wheels.

My costs I was referring to was the number of times I had to go and have other items replaced. Such as a radio twice, bad turn switch and entire fuse panel, etc...

Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

My costs I was referring to was the number of times I had to go and have other items replaced.
No you weren't. You specifically said MONEY:

Such as a radio twice, bad turn switch and entire fuse panel, etc...
All should have been replace for free under warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel Rust