Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

60,000 mile tuneup

Old 05-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Default 60,000 mile tuneup

Hi. I'm new to this site, but I'm hoping you all can help me out. I have a 2004 Sonata that I bought used just over a year ago. I am approaching 60,000 miles and I'm wondering how essential it is to have the 60,000 mile tuneup done. I have taken very good care of my care and it hasn't given me any problems as of yet. The only dealership close to where I live charges $650 for the inspection and I would like to avoid that cost if I can help it. But, if it will save me more money in the long run by avoiding a bunch of little repairs later on, it would probably be worth it. Also, the vast majority of my miles have been highway driving with very little stop-and-go.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Default RE: 60,000 mile tuneup

it is recommended to replace the timing belt at 60k, that is the most important thing to do in a 60k service. the rest includes spark plug replacement, trans flush, coolant flush depending on the dealer menu. i've seen belts(timing) last longer than 60k, but cats and dogs don't have the same luck, so i would try and get the timing belt done and do the rest of stuff at a later date.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

The 60K service is very important becausethe timing belt need to be replaced at 60K miles. If you choose not to do it and the belt breaks then the pistons will hit the valves requiring at the very minimum new heads if not a whole new engine.

So your choice is $700-800 for the 60K service and a belt replacement a belt replacement or$2500+ for a new engine.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

And for those who choose to ignore the timing belt and wait thinking it will last longer than 60K, read this from hyundai - forums dot com:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=25502
So we neglected the many, MANY warnings about the dreaded 60k mile service. So let me start by first reitterating the importance of having the timing belt changed on your Santa Fe @ 60k. Ours went out and took the whole engine with it. Damaged pistons, crushed valves, etc.
We had the engine replaced by a friend, got a 2k4 2.4 engine from a salvage yard with 30k on it. The engine was installed and all is well from that side. The problem came when it was time for us to back it out of the garage and drive it home. When we placed the shifter in to Reverse, we got nothing. Engine continued to run, no check lights came on, nothing to alert you to any issues other than the non-movement. When its shifted in to neutral the rpm gauge dips but nothing major, any other setting does nothing. Our first thought was to change the transfilter cause it sat for 4 months with no movement maybe it settled. We took of the front pan and couldnt find the filter 2 dealers said their was one and 2 said their was only an internal non-serviceable filter. So now we are stuck with a running Santa Fe that will not move.
Anyone else ever ran in to this issue? I'm open to any suggestions. Been a rough time but I feel like its something simple, because anytime it was towed it was on a roll back in neutral and it shifted and ran with no issues before the timing belt issue.
One more note, the engine may have came from a standard shift Santa Fe. We had it shipped in so we dont know for sure.
I appreciate you taking time to look over my thread and appreciate all the advice you can give me. I've searched for 3 days on this and came up with nothing. I appreciate the help.