Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Where to jack up the car at?

Old 05-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Default Where to jack up the car at?

Hello everybody I'm a new member. I have a 2006 Sonata V6 that I'd like to change the transmission fluid in. I'm a toyota guy, and this is my first Hyundai. I'm not stranger to the mechanical sides of cars. i've got a 1980 Toyota Celica w/ a 20/22R "hybrid" and Nitrous I"ve built from the ground up, and a 1992 Pickup w/ a rebuilt 22RE. All work done by, except for paint/body.

Now here is my dilema. This is the first car I've ever worked on that doesn't have a full frame and/or solid axle. Where do I jack up this car? Looking under the body I see a bunch of floor pan, definetely a unibody, but no real "good" looking jack mounts. I see for the front quite possibly behind the front tires there is a "flat pearch" which looks like I can put jack stands there, but what about the rear?

Its hard on this car to tell what is "thick frame" and what is floor pan because of the undercoating. I don't even see frame rails. I see two running down the side which could possibly be frame rails, but they dead end into the floor, so I'm really really doubting it.

My owners manual doesn't show the appropriate jack points, except if you use the dinky little tire jack included with the car.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Where to jack up the car at?

The best places are the ones listed in the manual.

Just be sure to use alift block saddle that allows the pinch weld seam to drop down so you aren't lifting on the seam itself.

Alos, any place the front/rear suspension mounts will be a part of the subframes. Those are usually the best places to jack from.