Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Sonata (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/)
-   -   Where's the best place to source a good repair manual for this 03 Sonata? (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-sonata-19/wheres-best-place-source-good-repair-manual-03-sonata-17352/)

wh23g3g 11-30-2018 09:21 PM

Where's the best place to source a good repair manual for this 03 Sonata?

I was wondering is there a good source for a detailed repair manual for this 03 Sonata that I have other than the factory repair manual. For some reason they tend to be far more expensive than earlier years and more than any other factory manual I've bought for any other car I've owned. I bought one of the downloadable supposed factory manuals off of Ebay and come to find out that when viewing instruction steps they just repeat the same procedure over and over. Then I was told, that's very common for this year. But when they repeat the removal and installation over and over one after the other that doesn't seem right. I know the Haynes and Chilton manuals are worthless to buy. It's hard to find the factory manual for under $60-$80 for this vehicle. I just wonder if I'm missing another source that might be a little cheaper.

allegretto 12-01-2018 09:57 AM

Most public libraries in the US have a subscription to "All Data". Renew your membership and you might get what you need for free.

hanky 12-01-2018 03:21 PM

A suggestion,
If you plan on keeping this vehicle for a while, look at the factory manual as an investment. Anytime you have just about any question regarding a repair ,you can be reasonably sure the procedure is in there. AND, with an 03, you will be in there a few times, bet on it. It will have info you won't be able to get anyplace else.

wh23g3g 12-01-2018 06:29 PM

I'm thinking about getting the factory repair manual for sure. I don't know how long I will keep it. I was actually told that the previous owner said the repair shop told him that it needed a transmission control module not a transmission. I was trying to figure out how to access the transmission control module in the car. I took off the driver's side lower panel and I couldn't see it. I couldn't figure out how to remove the radio dash bezel and the center console to access it. It would be worth trying that before having the labor done to put in a used transmission. The worthless downloaded manual I got for it doesn't even go into detail on how to remove it.

allegretto 12-01-2018 07:07 PM

Have you tried searching YouTube for these things? you may need to be a bit inventive in your search terms.

wh23g3g 12-01-2018 07:23 PM

Yeah I tried several different searches. I didn't see that one, but that at least helps me remove the radio center trim. Hopefully I can get at the TCM then without having to take the center console completely out. I saw the console side screws and I tried to remove them. They were all stripped and didn't loosen at all. So I don't know how I would get them out without having any access to the back of them. I was always wondering if this Sonata came with the Double DIN or Single DIN radio. There's a nice Double DIN Sony aftermarket cd player in there now, so I guess they could have taken that panel off the bottom if it was a single DIN. I do know it has the factory amplifier in the trunk, but not sure if all the Sonata's came with them. It doesn't say LX or GLS on the back under the V6 so I'm not sure what submodel it is. But it's got every option I think you could get on a Sonata back then.

allegretto 12-03-2018 10:02 AM

You could try pulling the side of the center console while turning out the screws. You may be able to get behind the screw heads with a pocket knife. If needed use a pry bar to pull the side of the console away a little while turning the screws. There may be a hidden bolt or two in the box behind the brake lever.

Try a VIN decoder to find out the particular specs on your car.

As far as videos are concerned: don't limit yourself to This model Sonata. Also look at Kia Optima, SantaFe, etc of the same vintage and go up and down the model years.

Good Luck!