Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Worst possible warranty service imaginable: 2011 Limited Turbo

Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Unhappy Worst possible warranty service imaginable: 2011 Limited Turbo

I outright purchased a new Hyundai Sonata Turbo Limited in December of 2010. I have had various service issues with the car over the past year, which Hyundai has repaired (fuel cap not opening requiring a new part, defective steering wheel clock spring, chassis creek, and defective front struts needing replacement). During one of these service calls the dealership soiled the ceiling of the car with grease and stains are still present despite their best effort to remove them. Needless to say the car has been in the garage a lot (well over once per month). I can accept all of the above as they have truly attempted to repair what I now see as a lemon. The grease stain was an unfortunate mistake.

The reason why I'm writing is most recently the radio unit required replacement because of a loud rattle whenever going over bumps. My dealership told me early October that a new radio was required to fix the issue. I waited patiently for over 2 months for the radio to arrive and when it didn't, I wrote the Hyundai head office on December 6. I was delighted when the following day my dealership called me to say they were going to take a new radio out of a car on the lot and install it in my car. I was disappointed when I found that the noise persisted, but felt cheated and disrespected when I ultimately found out that I was lied to - the radio was not replaced, as was indicated in writing on the service record.

After I called them on their lie (and they admitted it), the dealership asked me to return the car once again. This time it was in their possession from January 16-25. They told me a new radio and supporting structures were installed during this period of extended service. You can only imagine my frustration when I found the new radio was non-functional. The bluetooth module was totally defective, the radio buttons only worked intermittently and the "#1" button was stuck down. It is obvious no one in the service department inspected the radio after it was installed and now I don't have a functioning radio in my car. It is apparent to me that this radio was taken from someone else's car as in the bluetooth settings "Oliver's iPhone" is the preferred telephone. I'm not sure who Oliver is, but I hope he received a working replacement radio.

To add insult to injury, after I picked up the car with the "new" radio, the steering wheel lock function on my car no longer works (it was definitely functional prior to going in). I'm not sure how that could have happened during a radio replacement.

I feel like I've asked a waiter to cook a rare steak to medium and it coming back burnt and spit on, except we're talking about a $35,000 car, not a $35 steak!

I've told Hyundai Auto Canada this story. They haven't even offered an apology. They are asking me to return to the dealership (Downtown Hyundai) once again for them to have another look at the radio. I am at my whits end here. I feel like I can't trust this dealership to work on my car any longer. I am concerned that my car is a lemon and I'd like to know what advice you guys may have for me.

Ben Bell
Toronto, Canada

Old 01-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

First of all, the car is not a "lemon". A lemon is when a problem can not be fixed. Everythinig that was wrong was fixed except for a rattle. A rattle does not constitute a "lemom" status. Also, a "lemon" status can only be applied to a new car within the first year of ownership. Since you bought it in December and it's not January, 13 months later, it can't be considered a "lemon".

My advice is to find a different dealership. All dealers are not created equal and if you are getting poor service one one dealer, take it to a different one. My guess is, the dealership you have been going to has poorly trained mechanics.