Hyundai Terracan The Terracan offers mid-sized sport utility space in the body of a compact SUV.

Cam belt and engine damage.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Default Cam belt and engine damage.

I have recently done my cam belt and did the job myself. I forgot to tighten the crank pulley bolt and the belt had no guide and subsequently jumped off with a bang. After stripping the head i found rokkers broken and decided to do the complete head.
Valves were refaced and new ones fitted where it was knoked by the piston.
Rockers were replaced and properly oiled before fitment. I then phoned the local supplier and agent for the head torque sequence and torque settings but was unable to get it, the could not find it.
I did a search and found a repair manual and the torques. After all was assembled and belt fitted oil replaced filter done the engine would crank but will not start. i checked fuel pressures oil pressures and all the wiring. Again i contacted the agents with no assistance and all i got was to bring it in to check it on the computor, but how do i tow it there . so i started cheking for items that cost the least and decided to do the crank and cam sensors.
After this the engine fired up and was running smoothly. Before i did the cambelt the motor would at times swing but not start.
Since the replacement of the sensors it started every time.
Saved myself a lot of money and the head job was my own fault.
Hope this will help guys who want to do the job at home, luckily it is my trade but i am retired now.
Regards
Hennie

Old 06-25-2013, 04:42 PM

Sux to learn some things the hard way, glad ya found the culprit sensor and were able to fix it, you do know ya can buy a scanner that does all the things the dealer can do for about 200 bux just plug in and it gives ya alot of info.... check places like Oreilley auto parts etc