Hyundai Terracan The Terracan offers mid-sized sport utility space in the body of a compact SUV.

Questions re terracan 2005

Old 08-19-2005, 02:39 AM
Default Questions re terracan 2005

Hi, I am looking closely at the terracan for an upcoming vehicle purchase.

I have a concern about the 2H/4H/4L selector dial. The dealer told me that while shifiting between 4H and 2H is permissible up to 80km/h, a full stop with the transmission in neutral is needed to select 2L.

He also said that if the switch was moved to 4L while the vehicle was in motion, the mechanicals would still attempt to select low range and there would be damage to the drive line.

I can live with having to stop to select low range, but I am concerned that it might be too easy for the dial to be knocked into 4L accidentally. Say by a kid sprawling in the front seat, or by a bag shifting.

I guess an accidental bump might change from 4H to 4L over 80 kms as well.

Can I ask you people whether you have had any incidents with the range selector dial being set to 4L unintentionally? Also, is the dealer correct in his description of the 4L selection procedure?

I would have thought that seeing as the range selector is controlled by electric motors, it would have been possible to put some code in the computer control to prevent incorrect range slections. (i.e. prevent 4H/4L over 80 kms, and prevent H/L unless vehicle speed = 0).

Thanks team. I hope you can help me..

I will have some more questions soon!

Andrej

Old 08-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Default RE: Questions re terracan 2005

Hi Andrej
The Terracan have built-in safety so that even if u select 2L it wil not ingage until u stop and meet the conditon required. Talk to the technical staff at your dealer.
pwven

Old 01-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Default RE: Questions re terracan 2005

Hi Mataap - please take a tip from me and do not engage the 4WD whilst on road at any speed. It induces a most frightening swerving action as the back of the car attempts to overtake the front. You won't notice this effect off-road. To disengage 4WD, you need to selct 2WD and then roll the car slightly backwards in reverse. It then disengages properly. Its all to do with the fact that the Terracan is a proper 4WD car and not just some viscous-coupled affair. Cheers.

Dave