Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

01 Tiburon Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:08 AM
Default 01 Tiburon Won't Start

I have a 2001 Hyundai Tiburon that won't start. It will crank, and I also can smell gas getting to the engine. I have had the alternater, starter, and battery tested and they all check out ok. I even tried to "jump" the car just in case the battery wasn't getting enough cranking amps. This has been a very speratic issue up until now. In the past, I have been able to "pop start" the car and it will run fine for weeks, and sometimes months. Last night I popped started it and it ran but this morning when I tried to start it, it was back to the same old ways. Any suggestions? Please Help!!!

-Aaron

Old 01-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Banned
Default RE: 01 Tiburon Won't Start

You need a code scan to see if you have some trouble codes.
Chances are the crank or cam sensor is bad, but without the codes you are just shooting in the dark if you try to replace them. Take it to Autozone for a free code scan.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:46 PM

I don't have a check engine light to indicate a code needs to be pulled? Autozone is telling me I need to have this in order for them to pull a code.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Banned

Oh well, go to another Autozone and tell them you DO have a check engine light. Obviously you have trouble, so you need to make sure there is no codes stored. Sometimes there are codes stored, but the light will go out. Like I said, without a code readout, you are just shooting in the dark replacing parts. A code scan will rule out LOTS of things, and point toward a fuel problem if there is no codes.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:31 PM

Chances are the crank or cam sensor is bad, but without the codes you are just shooting in the dark if you try to replace them.
If either the cam or crank rotations sensors were bad, both spark and fuel would be cut off to the engine. If you smell gasoline, then the injectors must be triggering. Does the engine have any spark when this problem surfaces? Also, which engine in the car?

Old 02-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Default 2001 Tiburon won't start

Thanks for the replies. I haven't been back on here b/c I went to autozone and had the codes pulled and it revealed nothing. I ended up replacing the battery and it started for a couple days and now I'm back at square one. I can smell gas when i try to start the car, it just cranks. I am not sure if I have spark or not, however, when I was at autozone, they told me my starter wasn't aligning right with the fly wheel. I'm not sure about this. It sounds more to me that my starter is just intermittent. Could this be?

Old 02-01-2009, 10:36 PM

sorry it's the 4 cyl. engine

Old 02-04-2009, 05:08 AM
Banned

So is it a problem with the starter cranking? Or is it a problem with engine catching and running? If it cranks but won't start, then don't worry about the starter for now. I don't understand why they would tell you "the starter doesn't align right with the flywheel" because they can hardly see the starter, much less the flywheel. Anyway, if it cranks, it's probably ok.

As far as not starting, if there is no codes, then that points to a fuel pressure problem. The correct way to test it is to use a pressure gauge and test fuel pressure, but if you can't do that, go out and get a new fuel filter. New filter replacement instructions:

Reduce the internal pressure of the fuel pipes and hoses by completing the following operations.

(1)

Disconnect the fuel pump harness after removing the rear seat cushion.

(2)

Start the engine and after it stalls, turn the ignition switch OFF.

(3)

Disconnect the battery negative (-) terminal.

[See large image...]

(4)

Connect the fuel pump harness connector.
Remove the bolt connecting the fuel line with the fuel filter.
Cover with a shop towel to avoid gasoline from splashing.
Remove the fuel filter mounting bolt, then remove the fuel filter from the fuel filter clamp.
After replacing the fuel filter, check for fuel leaks.

[See large image...]

Old 05-16-2012, 01:42 PM

did you come up with a solution to your starting problem? Seems I have the same problem....could use your experience on the subject.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:37 AM
Default I have the same issue.

Here's the skinny: 2001 Tiburon, 2.0, automatic. My Tiburon seems to have this issue when it sits for a day or more. Once it gets running i can make multiple stops around town and it starts like a charm every time. I have replaced the battery, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs. I use a jumper wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the fuel pump test connector next to the fuel rack and i get fuel flow into the rack. Yet, it won't start. I have no check engine light, and have not stopped by any parts store to have them scan for codes. I have read in several threads in this forum about a possible bad cam or crankshaft sensor. If there are no codes stored then does that eliminate either of those items? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Quick Reply: 01 Tiburon Won't Start