Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

tiburon problems dash lights.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Default tiburon problems dash lights.

first off im new to this site so hopefully i posted this in the right section. i have a 97 tiburon fx and my dash lights dont work. check engine and airbag lights work as well as others but the speedo and rpm gauge arent lighting up. i checked all the fuses and they seem to be ok. also my cruise dont work anymore and the light dont come on for it anymore like it used to maybe these are related. dont use cruise much so i have no idea if this happened at the same time or not. any help on where to start looking would be great i tried googling but no luck thanks.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:22 PM

ok i just thaught of something if this helps anyone help me. my dash lights before they stoppped working went dim for awhile than eventurally just stopped working.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Default Dash Illumination/Tail lights/ Dash Lights

Hi everyone, This is a reply to a 3 year old thread.... Needless to say heaps of people have had the same issue regarding the dash and or tail lights ceasing to function on not just 97 but all the way to 01, and further issues regarding BCM on all Tiburon Models Including GTV6. I have just ran through this issue on my otherwise perfect and faultless "97 FX Tiburon (Coupe Aus Market)" Anyway after extensive reading and a lot of time wasted, I am posting this to hopefully help others out, My Dash Illumination (not trouble lights etc) ceased to function and in conjunction with the LHS Tail Lights (Left hand Side) I can happily say the LHS 10 Amp fuse located under a plastic cover in the engine bay (RHS) was the reason for No Left Hand Tail lights and Dash Illum, For those in Australia and others driving Right Hand Drive models, this fuse is the one that most posts on most sites are referring to as 10 amp fuse Tail RH, this will be the LHS Tail Fuse on right hand drive models, there is a lot of talk regarding the BCM (Body Control Module) being the cause, If you have a blown fuse , the fuse is the obvious break in the circuit, but not the cause, If you do have this or other fuse popping issues, there will be a cause for blown fuses, this can be a broken or unshielded wire somewhere in the circuit, water present causing a short or small arc, the wrong bulb type ie, far higher wattage than specified, aftermarket modifications, like neons, Audio amplifiers, etc, In My case the cause of the blown fuse was I had lent my trailer out to a friend and he had swapped the wires around on the plug to suit his car and not told me , I inadvertently hooked up my trailer and the result was a blown fuse, (yes I tow a trailer with my TIBBY) Anyone with Electrical Gremlins plaguing their Tiburons, please keep in mind that Hyundai are excellent engineers and chances are the factory wiring should rarely have faults and if it does, ask around, take it slow, read, read, and read some more, then proceed to diagnose/test and isolate the issue, Based on what I read on forums all over the place, I was prepared to tackle the "Dodgy BCM Issue" or rip my dash apart expecting dodgy bulbs or some kind of fried module, Dead Rheostat-(Dimmer Switch) etc, whilst I could get one for free and am more than competent at all things mechanical and electrical, In the end a 10 amp fuse got the lights going again, and a quick rewire of the trailer plug solved the problem. My Advice to anyone with this or similar problems is this - Read, Ask around, Troubleshoot slowly and steadily, if you are posting your issue on forums and someones advice does happen to help you solve your issue, please take the time to log back on and reply in order for others to be able to see that you have solved your issue and what it was that needed correcting, this way others can see not only the problem but some first hand evidence of how you fixed the issue. This will help others out in similar situations. Based on what I read I was nearly going to hand Mine over to an Auto-Elec, which would have cost me dearly, and in which case, they'd more than likely earn several slabs of beer for the 90 seconds required to check and replace the fuse, just to have me back after trying the trailer again.... ,

Last edited by Jet Flet; 07-10-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:09 AM

In my case (1997 Tiburon FX) an aftermarket radio caused the fuse to blow. No instrument cluster, no LH tail light or front running light.
Replaced fuse, kept popping.
Finally, pulled out the radio and it must have been pulling too much current, fuse stays alive, and lights now all work, dash and running lights.
Thank you for adding this post.