Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

2000 Hyundai Tiburon Starter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Default 2000 Hyundai Tiburon Starter Replacement

STFA. Anyone have any pictures of the location and the replacement of the starter for a 2000 Hyundai Tiburon (4 cycliner)?

TIA.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon Starter Replacement

This is a message forum, not text messaging. I have no idea what STFA means.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:48 AM

STFA = Seached the F**KING archives...

sorry use to some other forums...wasn't "texting" at all BTW (by the way)

It's a buddy of mine's car...it won't turn over, tried to jump it and still nothing. Not even a click, so most likely the starter if I can located the damn thing. I just need a picture or something to guide me. Only use to dealing with some pretty difficult german cars..

Any help would be much appreciative.

TIA. (Thanks in advance)

Old 06-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Heh. STFA.

First of all, have you checked the fuses? The battery? Battery cables? (I assume these are all yes, but you never know...)

Secondly, I will check my Elantra (which also has the 2.0 engine) to see if I can find the starter. I found one mention of the starter being under the air cleaner box, and another saying it was beneath the engine (above the left axle I think). I will take a look at my car; I think the Tib is the same.

I hadn't seen STFA before. TIA, I knew. But when starting in a new forum, it's probably best to assume we're st00pid as far as abbreviations go.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:51 PM

Yes, fuses, battery is dead (that's why I was using jumper cables). Battery cables all works fine, everything came on in the car once the jumper calbes were hooked up. So I know all of the fuses are good to go. Quite honestly I think the starter was removed and just isn't in the vehicle, that is why I can NOT locate it...

Could you please locate your starter and take a couple ofpics for me, very descriptive (to help locate it)would be great!

TIA.

Yes, yes sorry about that, my bad...

Old 06-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Wow. I just located my starter and I'm not sure pics can help you, at least not pics that I can take. It is on the back of the engine, below the intake manifold I look up this kind of stuff on Hyundai WebTech (see my instructions on how to register and access the info on WebTech for free at http://www.dfwhyundais.com/diy/DIY-WebTechGuide.html). Basically, Hyundai allows online access of their shop manuals, schematics, etc., to anyone who registers. It's all free.

Here is what WebTech offers for starter replacement on the 00 Tiburon:

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION[/align][/align]

Remove the battery negative terminal. [/ol][/align]
Remove the air duct and air cleaner cover.
[/align][/ol]

Remove the air cleaner assembly, and speedo meter cable. [/ol]

Remove the starter motor.
[/align][/ol]

Installation is the reverse order of removal. [/ol]
In the first picture, the big blob is the transaxle, which sits under the air cleaner, and the view is best described as looking from the right front strut tower toward the left headlight. The starter is above the innerCV joint boot for the right half shaft, and, as I said, below the intake mani. On my car, I can see it as it's pictured here, but there are several lines (vacuum? hoses?) in the way. It looks like these directions would work for my Elantra, but it might be tough getting through the lines.

Here is another view from the 00 Tiburon data:

Here's a photograph from the 04 Tiburon data, looking up from under the car near the right front tire:

I hope all this helps you.....! If you get onto WebTech, I found this in the Shop section, and in the Components Location pictures in the ETM (schematics) section (the link for Components Location is at the bottom of the schematic for Starter System).[/align]