Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

97 tiburon head gasket question!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:36 AM
Default 97 tiburon head gasket question!

Hey guys! So I replaced the head gasket on my 97 tiburon, I just torqued the head down to spec, and now am having trouble with the idler pulley!

It just keeps spinning in place after tightening it. I spin it up and over to get more tension and tighten and same thing. How do I properly install the idler pulley? How do I get it into the right position where it will stop spinning??
Thank you for your time

Old 03-01-2019, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Aponte
Hey guys! So I replaced the head gasket on my 97 tiburon, I just torqued the head down to spec, and now am having trouble with the idler pulley!

It just keeps spinning in place after tightening it. I spin it up and over to get more tension and tighten and same thing. How do I properly install the idler pulley? How do I get it into the right position where it will stop spinning??
Thank you for your time
Or is there a link anyone can refer me..? Am I asking the question in the wrong place..? I can’t find much info on idler pulley. As to why I am asking the question here. Is it supposed to spin freely? The timing belt seems tight but not tight enough. Thanks for the input guys!!! Much appreciated.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:37 AM

Hi Mike,
You didn't mention if you have the crank and cam pulleys in the correct position when installing the belt. If the engine is an interference engine and you do not have the crank and cam shafts in the exact correct position when installing the belt the piston will hit the valves and you will be removing the head again..Did you do that?
It does not make sense to install an old belt, always replace it when removed. Some tensioners used an allen wrench to adjust the tension on the belt when assembling.
Just trying to cover the bases with a reminder, OK?

Old 03-02-2019, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Hi Mike,
You didn't mention if you have the crank and cam pulleys in the correct position when installing the belt. If the engine is an interference engine and you do not have the crank and cam shafts in the exact correct position when installing the belt the piston will hit the valves and you will be removing the head again..Did you do that?
It does not make sense to install an old belt, always replace it when removed. Some tensioners used an allen wrench to adjust the tension on the belt when assembling.
Just trying to cover the bases with a reminder, OK?
Hey Hanky,
I appreciate the response and concern! It is an interference motor. I usually always change belt but this belt still looks pristine with about 40K miles. I do plan on changing it soon when I take the motor out for more work in the very near future. I marked the belt w the camshaft sprocket before removing. The crank and camshaft haven’t moved at all. I installed the belt, but it is off by one tooth.. is that an issue..? Ahh I will have to see about the Allen wrench!!
Again, much appreciated !

Old 03-03-2019, 04:45 AM

As long as the cam and crank timing marks line up , where the belt goes is secondary. Sounds like you are on your way. Thanks for an update !

Old 03-03-2019, 06:33 AM

Awesome! Thanks again hanky!!

Old 03-04-2019, 11:51 AM

From what you are describing it sounds like you are referring to the tensioner. The reason it isn't moving is more than likely the fork that the pulley attaches to isn't set in the lower sealing plug of the cylinder head. If it isnt it will spin together and won't set any tension. An eccentric tensioner is a two piece pulley where the one side is fixed in position so the other side which is off center where the mounting bolt goes through allowing it to change position when you rotate the inner part. There was an updated tensioner that eliminated that lever and just had the backside of the pulley as the stationary part. Both use a 6mm allen key to rotate the eccentric and while holding that use a 12mm wrench to tighten the mounting bolt to lock the 2 pieces together. Normally the hole for the allen key should be at the 6 o'clock position for proper tension. The original has a pointer and a notch on the lever that line up to set tension but if the belt is stretched it will require further rotation for adjustment. Make sure all the slack in the belt is on the tensioner side and responding to the other posts belt positioning is not secondary and is just as critical as setting proper tension on any timing belt. On that note just get a new belt, they're dirt cheap and if it's excessively worn or stretched you can have the marks lined up perfectly and the engine will still be out of time. Engine timing is typically not something to go alone at if you are new to it and should have someone familiar assisting you but anyways, best of luck if you haven't already put it back together and started it

Old 03-04-2019, 04:45 PM

MrKnowitall spelled it out pretty well.
When you install the belt just make sure it is tight and against the idler when placed on the cam sprocket.. The one tooth off could have been because it was not taut against the idler before placing on the cam sprocket. I failed to mention , when done and tensioner is adjusted you should rotate the crankshaft 2 full turns in the normal direction of rotation, to check and confirm the timing marks stayed lined up.