Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

My new Tiburon is having problems...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Default My new Tiburon is having problems...

Hey I was wondering is anyone could explain what's going on with my car. I just recently bought a 2003 hyundai Tiburon GT V6. (my first V6) I mean, the car it's self runs beautifully, but I've been noticing that every so often it kicks back and the meter drops below 1. It's not something that happens all of the time, but it's starting to make me nervous. I brought it to Hyundai and they said that they couldn't copy what I was explaining. therefor not able to fix it.

When I first noticed it, I thought that maybe since it's a bigger engine, that I wasn't use to I was driving it incorrectly. I told my boyfriend, along with letting him drive it and he noticed nothing. This went on for a while and I was convinced it was just something wrong with the way I drive until one day it happened to him too! I was told that it could be the timing or the fuel filter. Hyundai tested everything and couldn't find anything wrong with it.

The only reason I'm so worried about it is because I was driving down a very busy street and it started kicking badly. No matter how hard I pressed on the gas, I was getting no power out of it... almost to the point where I felt like I was going to stall. People started passing me and beeping. Eventually I learned that if I pump on the gas when it does this it seems to pick up with no problem.

Is this something that happens with Tiburons, with V6 engins, or am I just driving it like an idiot? Please help!

Old 09-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Default RE: My new Tiburon is having problems...

I had a similar situation with my tibby, You can try changing the spark plugs, I know it sounds crazy but my car would almost stahl when I started it and would sputted when taking off from a red light like I was driving wrong and my rpm's would jump up and down, it felt like my car was going through an earth quake and I had just replaced my clutch so I knew nothing was wrong there. when I replaced my spark plugs it sloved the problem it runs like new...If that doesnt work then I dont know.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:54 PM

How many miles are on the car?
Where are you located?

Try replacing the spark plugs and wires, clean the induction system, and at your next fill-up run a bottle of injector cleaner through it and see how it helps.
Also, it may be time for a timing belt. Thats just a general maintainence item, but an important item.

I own an 03' and

Old 09-10-2007, 09:49 PM

50,000 miles are on the car already. I have a 60,000 mile warentee. I'm from Tyngsboro and I bought it from a guy in Tyngsboro. (private sale) I'm wondering if this is he reason the guy was so willing to sell it. It seems the spark plugs might be an issue. I guess I'll have my boyfriend take a look. Some much for the Hyundai auto shop, huh? lol. Thanks guys. I hope this helps.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:09 PM

Ok, first off, I have no idea where Tyngsboro is. lol

Secondly, I don't think you're problem lies in the plugs. Hyundai uses a laser-platinum plug that typically lasts a good while.
You could change them and see if it helps, but I kinda doubt it.
Do you have a check engine light on by chance?
The fuel filter is in the tank, therefore a pain in the *** to do. Have to take the fuel pump out and go from there. Don't get into that, its not the problem.
I feel you need to service the induction system using a vacuum flush.
Any shop does it for about $150+tax.
As you drive, carbon builds up in the intake, throttle body, and eventually the valves. The vacuum flush runs a highly powerful cleaner through the system and flushes out all the carbon. This frees up sticking valves (which would cause the poor acceleration that you mentioned.) and blows all the gunk out the exhaust.
Get that done and if the problem persists, please let me know

Old 09-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

The only way carbon buildup is going to cause a problem like that is if there is something else wrong. Be very careful about injection cleaning as it can damage the sensors in the motor. The cleaners in detergent gasolines are adequate; higher concentrations can cause damage to sensors.

It could be one of the sensors in the system.... there are transmission input and output, crankshaft position, throttle position, etc. If they go out of the expected range it can cause the car to act funny or even shut down. I would recommend taking it back to the dealer (or to a different one if possible) and have them check all the sensors.

Also, KEEP DOCUMENTATION that the dealer looked at it for these issues. If it takes them 12000 miles to figure out what's up, it should still be covered under your 60000 mile warranty. But you need to document that the problem existed prior to 60k.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:54 PM

hmm. im not no expert. so dont go by what I say. but my moms Pontiac Bonneville was doing the same thing. my dad checked it out. it was spuddering, jerking while accelerating, and making a ticking noise under the hood. he changed the plug wire and spark plug and wallah, all of those symptoms went away.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:18 PM

this is a hyundai not a pontiac. completely different. its more than likely sensor issues,ignition coil,plugged fuel filter.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by canadachallenger1981
this is a hyundai not a pontiac. completely different. its more than likely sensor issues,ignition coil,plugged fuel filter.
First, while a Hyundai isn't a Pontiac, the engines run the same. They need fuel, air and spark. They are not "completely different".

Second, the original question was from 2007. That's almost 5 years ago. Stop bringing up dead threads.