Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

car turns over and over

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Default car turns over and over

I have a 2001 Tiburon with 84612 miles on it. I was getting ready to go somewhere and the my car would just turnover several times like it was a bad fuel pump. Then I tried it again same thing then on the 3rd try it finally started like nothing happened. The car never sits longer than a day since I am always driving it. I am not sure where to start I am not sure if its the fuel pump relay or a fuel pump. I am not sure what the problem is if anybody can give me some insight on this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: car turns over and over

There are people around here who are more knowledeable than I am for this kind of stuff, but....

- check the fuse in the engine compartment for the fuel injection system sensors. On my Elantra that fuse is designated SNSR.

- check the sensors themselves. One of the most common sensors to go bad on Hyundais is the crankshaft position sensor. If it goes bad, the computer doesn't see the engine spinning and therefore won't let the fuel pump work to make the car run. The throttle position sensor is another one that goes bad, but I would think the car would at least start if that was bad.

- could be the fuel filter, or the whole pump. The filter is inside the fuel tank and is part of the pump. You can changed out just the filter if you like (much cheaper than the whole pump).

If you look at Hyundai WebTech (their online service manual) I there is probably information on how to check the sensors. I've written a guide to how to register and navigate WebTech; it's at
http://dfwhyundais.com/diy/DIY-WebTechGuide.html

(I'm kinda tired or I would find the info and pass it along.)

Good luck; and if you have no luck with WebTech I can probably rummage around for you a little tomorrow.