Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

Check Engine/Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Default Check Engine/Limp Mode

I have an automatic 2003 V6 GT Tiburon with 63k miles on it. A little over a month ago the check engine light came and and the car shifted into limp mode (2nd gear) and would not come out. I took it to a mechanic and he said that the transmission needed to be rebuilt. So i paid the $2000 to get my trans rebuilt and then on my way home from the shop it did the exact same thing again! So I took it back to the shop and they replaced the solenoid AGAIN and they could not get it to act up so they gave it back. I drove it for two whole days before it did the same thing AGAIN! I took it to another mechanic and he drove it around for two weeks. While he was driving it he could only get it to act up twice and both times if he cut the car off and waited5 minutes before turning it back on the problem would go away. He said that because of this he could not put it back on the daignostic machine to get a code. I got the car back last night, drove it home and it was fine.When I got in the car this morning the check engine light was on and it was back in second gear. I turned the car off and left it off for 10 minutes (just to be sure) and when I turned itback on the problem was still there.Is anyone elsehaving this problem? Or does anyone have any idea what this could be? Anyadvice you have(besides selling the car) would begreatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Check Engine/Limp Mode

Never heard of that. First thing I would do is find another mechanic. This guy obviously doesn't know what he's doing. Take it to a Hyundai dealer or a mechanic that knows Hyundais. Hyundai automatics require special trans fliud and your mechanic may have put in the wrong stuff. Find out what code is now causing the CEL.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Default RE: Check Engine/Limp Mode

Thank you for such a fast response. I have been thinking about taking it to a dealer but I am afraid it is going to cost me a fortune. I am especially tight with money as far as the car goes right now because I already spent the $2000 to get the transmission rebuilt. It is looking like I have no choice though, so I guess I will have to take it to the dealer eventually.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:41 AM
Banned

Post deleted

Last edited by NovaResource; 06-11-2009 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Causing trouble posting in a year old thread