Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Tiburon (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-tiburon-23/)
-   -   Please respond quickly! (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-tiburon-23/please-respond-quickly-2545/)

Iaidoka 05-08-2007 09:50 PM

Please respond quickly!

New here and looking to buy a 2003 Tibby 6 speed with only 25k on it. It is a one owner,in fantastic shape and driven easily. Here is my question:

Has ANYONE had a clutch last in a 2003 Tibby for a normal ammount of time? Is this apossible problem?....or a definately going to happen so shell out $2000 more than what you are paying up front kinda problem?

Im not a hard driver but enjoy a little bit of gas here and there. Cant see roasting the tires unless I had too and I appreciate more of just the sporty feel to a car. Is this clutch going to dump on me? If so, how often and most likely when?

Thanks for the quick replies as Imdue to sign the day after tomorrow?

Danny45 05-14-2007 02:16 PM

RE: Please respond quickly!

I really want a Tiburon. However, I talked to a guy the other day that has a 2007 model, and his clutch gave out on it. I was shocked to hear that it was not covered under warranty and cost him $1,500.00 to have it repaired. Since when is a clutch a "normal wear item" when the darn car is still new?? I may not buy one after hearing that. I just can't see myself buying one with an auto tranny.

vosser 05-14-2007 02:45 PM

i bought an 06 with auto/autostick and love it. i am getting older and feeling too lazy to shift nowadays.lol

vosser 05-14-2007 07:04 PM

love the gorilla math moonz....lol. alot of times people end up smoking the flywheel too, thats why it ends up being 1500-1800 bucks. as far as the $150 kit goes, thats aftermarket not O.E.M. parts. OE parts always costmore. hyundai charges(dealer cost)us 450 for an OE kit minus the flywheel, and flywheels run about $700. so if you want some backwoods hillbilly to install an autozone "performance" kit fire it up, prolly last you a week. but hey, im to lazy to shift and bought an auto......w/100,000 mile warranty..........https://www.hyundaiforum.com/micons/m11.gif

Iaidoka 05-20-2007 09:39 PM

Well, the 2003 was a no-go as there was a financing goof when the guy applied me for credit and he sold the car the next morning before I figured out the mistake he made. I coulda hung the guy as my credit is just fine.

However, I ended up buying a brand new 2006 Tiburon SE instead from a different dealer. I believe it was their last year showroom model and it only had about 80 miles on it. Im kinda glad it worked out the way it did as I got a great deal on the car and its brand spanking new. I was shy of the 2007's as Imnotimpressed with the new changes they have made (gills, wheels and so on) and love the 2006.

Worked out cheaper than the 2007 GT with sun and sound package and I ended up with the SE. I guess the 03 wasnt what I was supposed to have and Im glad it didnt work out. Now, time to tint the windows and start considering a little customization.

vosser 05-21-2007 09:44 AM

congrats on the new car!!!! what color did u get?

Iaidoka 05-21-2007 06:38 PM

Thanks for the congrats Vosser. I ended up getting white. It wasnt my first color choice but it was the only brand new2006 on the lot and the deal was just to good to pass up. I really like the look of thewhite but its going to be a pain to keep clean considering Im fanatical about it. Thats really the only thing I dont care for about the color. Besides, I dont think I have ever seen another one on the road in white so its a little more unique.

vosser 05-23-2007 12:42 PM

i think the white ones are sharp. i own a black one, and it does suck keeping it clean. be careful around the spoiler when you wash it or if you have it buffed. the paint is thin on the edges, so it will burn through it easy.

Iaidoka 05-24-2007 02:22 AM

I have done tons of research about the clutch issues. Most of the issues on the earlier GK Tibs are caused by a spring in the slave cylinder. Apparently there has been a lot of luck by removing this spring which causes a mechanically induced slippage of the clutch to facilitate a smoother shift. After speaking with numerous dealer service mgrsit appears Hyundai has also figured out this problem. They are stating that Hyundai in many cases is recommending this spring be removed allowing the clutch to engage more quickly reducing the induced slippage. It actually feels and behaves like a clutch should after removing the spring and does not hurt the car. More importantly, if done by a dealer its not voiding the warranty.

On the 2005s there were improvements on the clutch parts themselves. On the 2006s+a new manufacturer is used to make the clutch and manufacturing itself has been changed.This is why you dont hear of 2006s and 2007swith these issues unless the car is absolutely abused regularly. Any car is going to have issues with that kind of treatment.

I have a friend with an 06 and almost 50k without a hitch.Original clutch, no issues and he is not what you call an easy driver.

Doohickie 05-24-2007 09:51 AM

moonz.... Forum Rule 2 sez:

While debating and discussion is fine, respect your fellow enthusiasts. Being of a diverse background, members are likely to express different opinions, and while opinions may differ from yours, they are just that, opinions; and everyone is entitled to express theirs freely. We will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, or personal attacks. Do not flame, bother, bug, disrespect, hound or taunt ANYONE on the forums or through private messaging or chat room. If we feel a thread is getting out of hand we will close or delete it. You can/will lose your posting privileges if you continue this type of behavior.

You may disagree with vosser's opinion, but please refrain from the name calling.... argue the issue, don't attack the person.