Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

tiburon rear drivers side tire is not moving!! help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Default tiburon rear drivers side tire is not moving!! help!

So last night I parked my tiburon, turned it off,put it in 1st, and pull the hand brake up..

and... about 3 inchs of snow later..and 12 hours later..

this morning i got in, put it in neutral, turned it on,put the hand break down, took off and heard my dad scream!! what for? my rear left tire was not spinning but the rest of the 3 were..

so i left it as it was.. left the hand break down, but put it in 1st and took a different car to school, i just got back and it is still doing the same exact thing!! what is the problem here?

someone please help! it is still pretty cold up here.. idk if that has to do with anything or not..

also two days ago the ABS light in my dashboard has been staying on.. even after i start my car, and i am driving it..

Old 01-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: tiburon rear drivers side tire is not moving!! help!

This is very common. The Tiburon is known to have the parking brake freeze-up in very cold/damp weather. You have to let it thaw out or get under there and heat the parking brake cable to release.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:53 PM

So should i just like wait untill warmer weather?

Old 01-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Not if you want to drive it. When it thaws, lubricate the cables with WD40 to prevent it from icing up again.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Banned

Get your hairdryer out, and let it blow on the cable.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:27 PM

I just kept reversing and driving and eventually, after like 10-15 times of doing that, it loosened up and it seems fine now.. so right now I have it in gear and left the brake down.. Next time i get my oil changed, Ill have the guys lubricate the cables, but is WD 40 the best thing to use? or is there something better?

and is it safe to leave the car just in gear durring the winter months?

Old 01-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Banned

If you have manual, then just leave it in first gear. If you have auto, then just leave it park. I NEVER use my parking brake in winter unless there's a compelling reason like a hill.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jsinton

If you have manual, then just leave it in first gear. If you have auto, then just leave it park. I NEVER use my parking brake in winter unless there's a compelling reason like a hill.
Sorry but that is just bad advice in my opinion. ALWAYS use your parking brake, manual or automatic. That way the brakes prevent the car from moving instead of the transmission. That's what the brakes were designed to do. Making the transmission hold the car in place puts undue stress on the trans.

Just because there is a problem with the cable doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. It means the cable should be fixedcorrectly and then used properly.

ORIGINAL: tiBuronGt
Ill have the guys lubricate the cables, but is WD 40 the best thing to use? or is there something better?
WD-40 is an water displacer. That means it prevents the water from "sticking" to the cable. If there is no water in the cable, it can't freeze in cold temps.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:30 AM

Oh, okay, thanks man! i will definitely have the next person that changes my oil, lubricate the cables.. How often should i get this done? every time i change the oil? and double lubrication during the winter months?

Old 01-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Well, that depends on how often the problem happens. Lubing the chassis is part of the standard oil change.