Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

P0011 code? replaced head, timing belt, oil contol valve, rough idle?? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 02:19 PM
Default P0011 code? replaced head, timing belt, oil contol valve, rough idle?? HELP

Hi,
I am in need of some help! Rebuilt 2008 2.0 after it overheated and warped the head. So i have rebuilt almost the entire engine such as new rings, main bearings, head (with new cams), timing belt, water pump, oil pump, oil control valve, idle air control valve, seals, and maybe something else. Car is running but idling rougher than it should. Runs at higher RPMs pretty well. Throw code P0011 - Camshaft intake advance too high. Read all the stuff i can find....bad oil, bad oil control valve, bad cam dephaser thingy, bad timing
My major question IS could i have gotten one tooth off on my camshaft drive chain (roughly 14 degrees) and the car still run? It would seem like that's too far off and would throw other codes at idle or be a interference issue and not run. P0011 seems to appear after higher RPMs and driving for 15 mins plus. I don't think it would even appear if at idle only. Plus the IGN ADV is running at NEGATIVE 14 degrees + which seems crazy....seems like it should be POSITIVE and go higher when accelerating.
So the ECM is retarding timing to compensate for camshaft intake advance? I thought retarding timing was more related to KNOCK? No knock codes, no camshaft codes, no other codes.
Could the camshaft dephaser go bad? That's seems a little extreme. I guess the new aftermarket oil control valve (cheap one) could be malfunctioning??

Any wisdom would be great!!

Thanks!