Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

07 Tucson rear ended on Friday, engine didn't start today. PLz Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Default 07 Tucson rear ended on Friday, engine didn't start today. PLz Help!

My 07' Tucson was rear ended pretty bad on friday evening. I was stopped at a redlight and some idiot flew into me going like 30mph. The driver's side of the rear bumper took most of the damage, but the trunk hatch got banged up too and wont open.

Does anyone have any insight as to why I had to jump start it today?
Could it be a result of getting hit?

I know I didnt leave any interior lights on and the headlights automatically turn off when the engine does...also before I jumped the car the interior light up front worked but the engine wouldnt. SO WEIRD!

Please HELP!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Many times when the battery is weak, it will still have enough power to operate the lights but not enough to turn the engine over.

My guess is something did happen in the accident. It's very possible that when the rear hatch was hit, the switch in the hatch that turns on the light became misaligned or damaged and is keeping the inside rear dome light on. Bacically it thinks the hatch is open when it’s not. That may have kept rear dome light on and drained the battery overnight. That's what I'd check first. The best thing to do is reach back from the rear seat and turn the override switch from "DOOR" to "OFF". That way it will ignore the switch on the hatch itself and keep the light off.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:39 PM

I've never had the override switches set on "door", they're all set to off.

Any other ideas?

Old 02-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

You said the accident was Friday and you had to jump start it today (Tuesday). Has the car sat all that time (4 days) without running? If so, I still think there is a drain on the battery. You just have to find out where. Basically you need a digital multimeter to find the drawl. Disconnect the ground from the battery and connect the multimeter between the battery negative terminal and the ground cable. You will see a drawl on the multimeter. Start pulling fuses one at a time until the drawl drops. The circuit that fuse was in will be where to look for the drawl.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:11 PM

The car sat all of Saturday, but I drove it a bit on Sunday and Monday and it started up fine every time except this morning