Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

08 2.7L Tucson Clunk/Thump When Letting Off Gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 08:51 AM
Default 08 2.7L Tucson Clunk/Thump When Letting Off Gas

Hi, all!

I have a 2008 Hyundai Tucson V6 Limited FWD. I bought the car from its original owner with 32k miles in 2015. It now has 97k and I still haven't had to touch a thing other than regular maintenance - oil changes, tires, brakes. I also have a lifetime alignment service and take my Tucson in every 5k miles. For some reason, this vehicle doesn't hold its alignment too long so I opted for Tire's Plus lifetime alignment deal. For $160 I get free alignments anytime for as long as I own the car. It paid for itself after only 2 alignments - something to consider if you find your Tucson needs alignments often like mine!

On to the only issue I've had... if you can even call it an "issue"... is when at high speeds (I'd say 65mph @ 2700rpm+) when I let go of the gas I can feel a slight jerk (pull back) and you can hear a clunk/thump that sounds and feels likes it is coming from somewhere near the middle of the car. It has happened since I got the car and none of my passengers ever noticed. Only myself and my husband notice as we drive it regularly.

I take excellent care of my Tuscon and keep up on maintenance as if my life depends on it. I regularly have it looked at, as well. I last had my Tucson fully inspected 7,000 miles ago (When my car hit 90k). It passed with flying colors. I always figured this clunk/thump sound was just... normal. We still wonder if it is simply the exhaust somehow bouncing up and hitting the underside of the car.

However we just returned from a vacation in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. Not only did I put on about 1,800 miles on this trip, but we drove around in the steep mountains for a good 3 days. On our drive home I noticed the clunking seemed more prominent. This would make sense if it WERE the exhaust bouncing up considering how much we were driving "upwards" throughout Tennessee and even Kentucky.

I've been home 2 days and I heard the noise again yesterday on the interstate, but it is back to its subtle self. It does not do this if I ease off the gas - you have to let go fairly abruptly.

Anyone else experience this? Any clues as to what it could be?

Last edited by Rofl_pantofl; 05-30-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:40 PM
Default clunk/thump/jerk

sounds like my issue. Check you lower control arm bushings. Most likely the are worn out and/or failed