Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

2006 Tucson 2.7 V6 P0340 code

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 09:57 PM
Angry 2006 Tucson 2.7 V6 P0340 code

Hello,

I am in a precarious situation.
My water pump went out and so I had to replace the timing belt along with it. everything was lined up for the timing belt, all back together then a code P0340 comes up. So the cam shaft position sensor was replaced and we still have the code. I have seen some posts that there is some kind of gasket for that part? My son said there is no gasket. So that is my first question. Is there?
Now back to the code. I am at a loss and my son said oh maybe the coil pack. Does this car have a coil pack? Just don't know what to do anymore and I am beside myself. I bought the car and the water pump started leaking a week after I got it. My son has been working on this car when he can for the last 3 weeks and I have been without a car all this time. Anyone please have any experience with this problem? Yes he reset the computer too. Any ideas of what to do would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Old 08-17-2018, 10:39 PM

You didn't say whether the engine starts and runs??
The P0340 code says something about a cam circuit problem
Could be in the wiring??
Or may be when it was put back together that it was slightly off??
Hard to tell from here ... I usually think if a code comes up after some work was done that it maybe related???

Old 08-17-2018, 11:34 PM

my son took everything back apart and redid the timing belt again to ensure it lined up as after the 1st time he put on the belt, that is when the code came up. After he redid it, the code was still there so we put on a camshaft position sensor thinking that would be it but the code is still there. Tomorrow putting in a crankshaft sensor hoping that will be it but I am just not sure. All this because the water pump was leaking and it was running just fine before. Now it runs but not as smooth as it was at all. Im scared to drive it with that code so want to get it fixed before I do. This sure got me wondering why I bought one of these. Whomever's bright idea for the water pump replacement and having to do the timing belt at the same time needs to find a different hobby because engines aren't it.

Last edited by TucsonIowa; 08-17-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:05 AM

I would feel the same way if I had a similar situation.

I would have to agree with "avisitor" with this and the job is just one of many that require some knowledge of what you are doing Just replacing parts can be simple and other times can require understanding how the system works so you don't overlook a critical step.

If the engine was disassembled , checked an reassembled ,are you/he sure he didn't overlook one of the steps that were necessary to insure a positive result.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:48 PM

I called a friend who has 30 years experience as a mechanic in a shop. He is going to where my Tucson is after work on Monday with some of his equipment to do some diagnostics. I am sure with his help, I will be back on the road very soon. My son however doesn't agree with what he is saying but at this point, I don't care anymore. 3 weeks without my car is too long. I appreciate the answers here and I have to agree with somebody else that said, If all you needed was the water pump and the car ran great otherwise, it is something in the timing belt that is messed up. For some reason my son thinks he doesn't have to mark anything and said things are already marked. I think right there it is on wrong because everything I have read it is better if you mark it with a paint pen or something to really make sure it is lined up right. Poor guy has been working so much on it though and I appreciate what he has done but enough is enough.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:49 AM

quick update on this. The timing belt wasn't lined up right. Now no P0340 code. Thanks!

Old 08-27-2018, 09:50 AM

Great feeling, I know! I once did the timing belt on a Mazda Protege and after that it ran like......(no, I am not printing this). I re-checked and the belt was off by one tooth at the crank shaft.
And once I bought a non-running Mazda B 2300 truck. It wasn't running because the previous owner tried to replace the timing belt and he had no clue what he was doing. Hanky here directed me to a lengthy video and with that accomplished the task.- Great feeling!

Old 08-27-2018, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by TucsonIowa
quick update on this. The timing belt wasn't lined up right. Now no P0340 code. Thanks!
Thanks for the update.
When doing timing belts, it is very easy to miss the correct mark to use to line up the belt.
So, I would not blame anyone who tried but missed the mark.
As long as no damage was done and the engine runs now
Congrats on getting it fixed.