Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

2007 Tucson - white smoke a couple minutes after cold start

Old 09-17-2018, 10:39 AM
tc7
Default 2007 Tucson - white smoke a couple minutes after cold start

I'm seeing the below with my 2007 Tucson, not sure if I should be concerned or not..

- Car starts fine after a couple days of sitting parked
- 5 mins after a cold start (after idling or driving) white smoke comes from under the hood (passenger side) and exhaust... amount of smoke is rather small and appears white.. but does have a burning smell. I did notice that the smoke under the hood appears to be originating from the bottom of the engine
- Smoke, and smell, goes away within 1-2 mins, and the car operates fine the whole time
- Starting the car a couple hours later does not cause the smoke
- Fluid levels look fine and there's no leaks from when its parked, from what I can tell

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2018, 03:38 PM

Something you might check, if a hose clamp is not tight enough, the joint/connection may seep a little when cold and as parts expand the leak is temporarily sealed until it cools down again. Sometimes a leaking water pump seal will do this. Keep in mind a leak on the top of the engine can run down and drip from the bottom. What some shops will do is pressurize the cooling system when cold and watch to see if the pressure drops.. Are you planning on doing your own work or have another shop check it?

Old 09-17-2018, 04:25 PM
tc7

Thanks for the reply. Was planning to take it in but wanted to get more info on possible causes so I don’t get taken for a ride. Might take a look myself, given that info.

Just to clarify, when I mentioned cold start, it’s more that it hasnt run in 2-3 days. Outside temp has been 70-90F

Old 09-18-2018, 10:13 AM

I was thinking exactly the same that hanky expressed so eloquently.

Just to clarify, when I mentioned cold start, it’s more that it hasn't run in 2-3 days. Outside temp has been 70-90F
Those 90 degree days may feel hot to you. For an engine this is a cold start nonetheless. Even in the summer it takes a few minutes to bring the engine to operating temperature of about 190 F at the thermostat.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:15 AM

It might help to explain some,
After a few times of going through the process of determining a cause of a problem which can get quite lengthy, mind you, The person on the other end just wanted to know and planned to take the vehicle to a shop for the repairs. That is why I now always inquire if they are going to do the work themselves or farm it out..
There is no sense explaining a troubleshooting procedure which takes time from folks that are trying to help themselves , Please try to understand we have only so much time to explain things and it is not fair to those trying to do their own repairs, thanks for understanding.