2010 Tucson 2.4 alternator removal issues - Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:53 PM

Default 2010 Tucson 2.4 alternator removal issues

I have a two-part question.I worked on my 2010 Tucson all day to change the alternator because I could smell electrical burning when the car came up to operating temperature, which if any one knows, is this a good sign the alternator is going bad because there is no other indication. So i have already got everything unbolted and the alternator free from the engine and can not to save my life get it out of the engine bay. The only way I can see getting it out is to disconnect a.c. lines and if that is something I would rather not do. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:24 AM

Alternators are usually first checked with a Digital Volt Ohm Meter or Multi-Meter
Reading across the battery terminals with the engine off and with the engine running
The smell of burning electrical insulation is a sign of other things.
Possibly wires near exhaust or too much current for too long a time or short circuits???

As for removal, check youtube videos. You might get lucky
Old 03-03-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisitor View Post
Alternators are usually first checked with a Digital Volt Ohm Meter or Multi-Meter
Reading across the battery terminals with the engine off and with the engine running
The smell of burning electrical insulation is a sign of other things.
Possibly wires near exhaust or too much current for too long a time or short circuits???

As for removal, check youtube videos. You might get lucky
Thank you for the response. There is really nothing in the area where the smell could be coming from other than the alternator or the A/C compressor and the air is not being used right now so I don't think that it could be the A/C compressor. I've already done all the normal routine checks for bad alternator with no positive results. I read somewhere that the diodes will start to go out and the alternator will get hot and give off the unmistakable odor of electrical parts burning. As far as YouTube goes there is absolutely no resources about removing the alternator from a second-generation Tucson with 2.4 furthermore, there are no resources anywhere on the internet about it.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrankel92 View Post
Thank you for the response. There is really nothing in the area where the smell could be coming from other than the alternator or the A/C compressor and the air is not being used right now so I don't think that it could be the A/C compressor. I've already done all the normal routine checks for bad alternator with no positive results. I read somewhere that the diodes will start to go out and the alternator will get hot and give off the unmistakable odor of electrical parts burning. As far as YouTube goes there is absolutely no resources about removing the alternator from a second-generation Tucson with 2.4 furthermore, there are no resources anywhere on the internet about it.
2nd generation Tucson alternator removal procedure
Second-generation Tucson intake manifold removal procedure.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrankel92 View Post
2nd generation Tucson alternator removal procedure
Second-generation Tucson intake manifold removal procedure.
Paying it forward to all who pose the question of how do I get the alternator out of a second generation Tucson engine bay