Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

2017 Dual Clutch Transmission and driving issues

Old 08-23-2017, 08:23 AM
Default 2017 Dual Clutch Transmission and driving issues

Has anyone on here had to deal with any of the noted transmission issues of overheating, missing gears while driving or any of the other related issues? This would be for the 2016-17 MYs? The dual clutch is dry and that is leading to one of the overheating issues as there is no lubrication used in the clutch housing. The other is how the vehicle lurches, loses power when driving and overall shifting issues due to a combination of things. I know there were software patches for the slippage of the gears, but they did not always work. Also I do not believe Hyundai ever looked into the clutch over heating issue at all. I really like the Tucson and want to get one when my current lease expires this December, but the more I read of these issues, the more I am rethinking of getting one, since they seem to still be occurring and nothing being done about them and I am sure the same transmission will be used in the 2018 MY, since there are no changes for the upcoming model. Any feedback, suggestions stories and such I would love to hear from people on to help decide what to do in the upcoming months, thanks!

Old 08-23-2017, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Are you having a problem currently or are you asking if Tucsons in general have those problems?

Old 08-23-2017, 02:29 PM

I am looking to purchase a new Tucson this December when my lease on my Elantra runs out and I have been reading up on the vehicle quite a bit throughout this year and keep seeing more and more of these issues being posted by current or past owner of 2016/2017 MY. These are not inexpensive vehicles to purchase and I do not want to end up buying something that is going to be problematic continually so I would love to see feedback form current or past owners to see what if any of these issues they have had, how and if they were ever resolved and their thoughts on purchasing a Tucson this winter.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:45 AM

These shifting issues are normal as to the heating up that is not common. What I will say is that I have a 2017 Tucson that won't back up a incline! This also turns out to be normal at least that is what Hyundai states. I had to have mine towed out of a parking space because it would not back up. This car is only 4 weeks old, I sure would not have bought this model with the dual clutch had I known of this problem. Rhopkins

Old 12-02-2017, 09:01 PM

Yeah i was thinking of buying either a 2017 or 2016 but now im having second thoughts due to all the issues im hearing with this vehicle.

I'm starting to think that a mazda cx 5 or ford escape might be better. costs more but geesh you dont get these issues

Old 12-02-2017, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by rhopkins
These shifting issues are normal as to the heating up that is not common. What I will say is that I have a 2017 Tucson that won't back up a incline! This also turns out to be normal at least that is what Hyundai states. I had to have mine towed out of a parking space because it would not back up. This car is only 4 weeks old, I sure would not have bought this model with the dual clutch had I known of this problem. Rhopkins
Normal? What for crap vehicles? If you have a brand new 2017 and you have only had it 4 weeks and have these issues that is no a good sign. Hyundai says its normal that you can reverse up an incline? Are you serious? That is not good.