Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

2019 Tucson Can DRL be added?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 06:46 AM
Default 2019 Tucson Value Trim Can DRL be added?

My new Tucson did not come with Daylight Running Lights. Can they be added without breaking the bank? Either OEM or aftermarket type - like those Mzorange things?

Last edited by chicagorandy; 07-18-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:54 AM

Did you check with your dealership where you purchased the vehicle ?

Not saying it can't be done, but when we start messing around with a brand new vehicle we open the door to allow the manufacturer to walk out from under any warranty protection. I would like to get their answer on this.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:56 AM

That is my project for later this morning when the thunderstorms leave the area. I will report back the results of dealing with the service department.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:00 PM

Ok short answer - NO!@ - longer answer, per the service manager at my dealership, unlike most USA made vehicles, Hyundai builds each vehicle package with ONLY the wiring harnesses necessary for that specific trim. As a result with my brand new 2019 Tucson Value trim I am NOT able to add OEM DRLs or fog lights. I would need to have purchased at the minimum the Sport trim package which already includes said items.

Do I think this Hyundai policy is stoooooooooopid in the extreme? Why yes, as a matter of fact I do. I mean, really? It's the same freakin' body panels for all trim packs and the plastic covers already exist on my SUV where the DRLs would go. So I am now exploring aftermarket options to at least add the DRLs.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:20 PM

Nearly 100 views and zero prospects - so I'm thinking Hyundai really screwed the pooch with this 2019 re-arrangement of trim packages. It honestly isn't worth $2500 to me just to get my fog lights and DRLs back by trading this Value trim unit back to the dealer for a Sport version.

Maybe I'll just look at some Hella kits? I dunno - I've also e-mailed Hyundai directly to seek out advice and options, but I'm not optimistic.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:11 AM

Here is what you are dealing with, Newer vehicles have loads of modules (like little computers) controlling MANY features on the vehicle. If you or anybody else decides to add some feature you could be asking for problems caused by uncontrolled voltages in the electrical system. They have eliminated miles of wire by going to a network system. You might be able to install or have installed, a completely separate set up independent of any other system on the vehicle.This system if done correctly can have safeguards to prevent voltage spikes which could cause all sorts of problems within the vehicle. Then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we need to confirm if the charging system will or will not acknowledge the power drain and keep the battery in the designed State of Charge.. I don't believe you would want to get involved in something like this without having the equip and knowledge to verify the change will not cause unrelated problems. A savvy tech, with good electrical background probably could handle this project.
As always, a second and third opinion never hurts.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the advice - point well made. I AM liking the new safety features that come as standard on this one vs my 2018 Tucson. Blind spot notification, it beeps if it thinks you are wandering out of a lane over 40 mph, crash avoidance braking and for me a very first experience at 70 yrs old.

I've only put about 45 miles on the new rig and thought the front suspension needed alignment or something was off in the steering when I was on the expressway yesterday. Turns out I also have something called Lane Keeping Assist, in which the car front camera will detect any left/right tendency and the steering will make a gentle correction all on its own. New cars are DEFINITELY smarter than I am - LOL

Old 07-19-2019, 09:46 AM

I would however point out that my initial quest for DRLs and fog lights, which I HAD on my 2018 base trim model Tucson, was made speaking TO Hyundai at the Hyundai dealership where I bought the SUV, where they sell Sport trim 2019 Tucsons that DO have the DRLs/fog lights installed.

The reality that they cannot simply install the Sport trim DRL inserts and control module (which they DO have in stock in their parts department) into the existing front body openings in MY 2019 Tucson is completely baffling to me. I fully realize that since the light stalk under the steering wheel IS different, adding operating fog lights would be a major cost prohibitive challenge, but crikey!, DRL's are a plug and play items on purt near every other car on the market. Why not Hyundai asks me. The task wouldn't take a trained Hyundai tech more than 60 minutes to accomplish. I would not care if only the DRL's worked and the fog lights were simply cosmetic and non-functioning.

This sure doesn't sound like rocket surgery to this Chicago geezer.