Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

ipod ready cd player

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Default ipod ready cd player

i've done a bit of research online about how to play my ipod in my car WITHOUT having to buy a radio transmitter. frankly, i can't stand the buzz or static i hear when i use one of those.

i've read a lot about adapters and whatnot, but i'd rather not go that route. i've tried finding a unit to install in my car to replace my cd player, but a lot of them don't fit my vehicle (a 2005 tucson). does anyone know of a unit model that would? i came across a post somewhere that mentioned the kenwood KDC-MP532...any one use this?

Old 01-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ipod ready cd player

Which stereo do you have? Single DIN (normal size) or Double DIN (extra tall)?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Doohickie

Which stereo do you have? Single DIN (normal size) or Double DIN (extra tall)?
An '05 Tucson should have a double DIN Casette/CD player.One of these probably:

Single CD w/MP3:

6-CD:

Single CD w/MP3:

Old 01-09-2008, 02:41 PM

thanks for taking the time to even read my posts...

i went outside and took a picture of the cd player in my car, as i'm not sure what a single or double DIN are. here'sthe picture:
Name:  CIMG1877.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  98.6 KB
i resized the image to make it smaller here.

if you need any other information to help me out, just let me know.

thanks!

Old 01-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

WOW! I've never seen that base radio in a Tucson. Do you have a base GL 4-cyl Tucson? That is a single DIN radio but that little tray under the radio allows you to install a double DIN if you wanted.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:20 PM

sorry, not sure what you mean by "base 4 cyl tucson." i got the car used, and didn't have a hand in choosing it. some family friends found it for me at a hyundai dealership near their home in new orleans. i'm from houston, so i just drove there with my mother to pick it up. but, i swear, it is a tucson, and it's a 2005 model.

i've asked my brother, and hesays that i havea basic4 cylinder tucson. it's as basic as they come, i think...no bells and whistles--just power windows and doors, no special features. not even those special buttons that slide the driver's seat forward and back (i still have one of those levers to adjust the seats), but i don't think you care about that.

as you can tell by the picture, i have one sorry *** cd player. i've been driving the car since august of 2006, andi am DYING for something better, and hoping to find a unit that will allow me to use my ipod without a transmitter. your reaction leads me to believe that my cd player sucks even more than i thought.

after looking at the owner's manual, i always thought that the shelf under the unit was where the tape player would go. i was thinking of going to the dealer to get a unit with a tape player, so i could use my ipod that way. i'm desperate. i just want to play my ipod...

Old 01-11-2008, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: kavabuggy

sorry, not sure what you mean by "base 4 cyl tucson." i got the car used, and didn't have a hand in choosing it. some family friends found it for me at a hyundai dealership near their home in new orleans. i'm from houston, so i just drove there with my mother to pick it up. but, i swear, it is a tucson, and it's a 2005 model.

i've asked my brother, and hesays that i havea basic4 cylinder tucson. it's as basic as they come, i think...no bells and whistles--just power windows and doors, no special features. not even those special buttons that slide the driver's seat forward and back (i still have one of those levers to adjust the seats), but i don't think you care about that.
"Base" model is just what you said you have; the most basic model with no or few options.

as you can tell by the picture, i have one sorry *** cd player. i've been driving the car since august of 2006, andi am DYING for something better, and hoping to find a unit that will allow me to use my ipod without a transmitter. your reaction leads me to believe that my cd player sucks even more than i thought.
I wouldn't say that. It just is a basic model CD player with few options.

after looking at the owner's manual, i always thought that the shelf under the unit was where the tape player would go. i was thinking of going to the dealer to get a unit with a tape player, so i could use my ipod that way. i'm desperate. i just want to play my ipod...
Yes and no. There wouldn't be a second unit with a tape player that goes where the shelf is but there would be a larger headunit that replaces both the CD player you have and the shelf (see the pics above).

DON'T BUY A FACTORY HEADUNIT FRON THE DEALER!!!!! You will pay way too much. My advice would be to buy a nice aftermarket headunit from a stereo shop or find one of the factory Tucson headunits shown above on eBay and install that.

One from eBay will be cheaper, easier to install and have the tapedeck so you can play your ipod (thetop and bottom pictured headunityalso have the ability to play mp3 CD's). While the factory units on eBay will be cheaper, and aftermarketheadunit will probably be a higher powered unit.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:51 PM

i hate to beat this topic to death, but i was just wondering if, because i have a single DIN unit, i'd be able to get a single DIN cd player with a USB function (like the kenwood KDC-MP435U)? i mean, i know i'll have to find something compatible with my car, but i was just wondering if one of those types of devices would be okay. i already have a single DIN, as you've helped me identify, and i've gotten used to usingthe bottom tray area as aplace to hold my phone and work ID badge. i'm not looking to have the best and most high-tech sound system out there...i really just want to be able to play my ipod, or even play a CD with MP3s burned onto it.

sorry to be such a pain in the butt...i just figured you guys could give me more insight, since you have hyundais, or are at least familiar with them. if i went to best buy, i'm sure i would feel stupid in front of the salesperson, who may not now squat about the type of car i have.

i guess what i'm confused about, and scared to look like a fool about, is the whole "fit" issue, and finding a unit that will fit my car.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure you could. Check out Crutchfield.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:02 PM

i bought an aftermarket Alpine deck... mainly because i wanted a REAL ipod connector... not just a headphone mini plug.

i have a real ipod connector that charges the ipod battery while playing and also lets me control the ipod from the deck so i never have to take the ipod out of the glovebox. I also had a normal line in mini plug so i can plug in my laptop and radio scanner.