Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Key stuck in ignition - shift knob,console cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Lou
Default Key stuck in ignition - shift ****,console cover removal

I want to get to the shift lever electrical connector under the console cover. Can I get a detailed instruction to remove the shift lever **** and console cover ? I believe I have a loose connector causing the key to lock when the car is in park. When I jiggle the shifter the key releases. I need a detailed instruction how to get to the shifter connector. Thanks

Old 07-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Lou
Default Key stuck in ignition

My key is stuck in the ignition cylinder. The car is in park but the key will not turn completely off and is stuck in the acessory mode. The motor shuts off fine, and the car remains in park, but the key remains stuck. This condition has just started, Ocassionally the key turns and releases fine. I have tried several keys and this condition is the same,so I don't have a bad key. Could this be an electrical problem?? Thanks!

Old 07-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

What year? Manual or automatic?

I'm going to assume a 2005-09 JM Tucson with an automatic.

REMOVAL

1. Remove the shift lever ****(A).

2. Remove the console cover(B), disconnecting the shift lever connector(A).

3. Seperate the lever assembly(B) from the facia bracket assembly(A).

4. Disconnect the cable interlinked to lever assembly.

5. In case of 4WD vehicle, discconnect the 4WD ECM connector(A).

6. Remove the facia bracket assembly.

Inspection

Check points of shift lock system

1. With shift lever at P position and brake pedal not depressed. Push button cannot be operated. (Shift lever cannot be shifted to other positions from P) Push button can be operated at the positions except P.

2. With IG key at the position other than "LOCK" (May be at "ACC") and brake pedal stroke 15~25mm (With shift lever at P position). Push button can be operated and shift lever can be shifted smoothly to other from P.

3. With brake pedal not depressed. Shift lever can be shifted smoothly to "P" positions from other positions.
4.Brake pedal must be operated smoothly without catching at all positions.

Adjusting procedure for "P" shift lock cable

1. Check that each lock cam is shown below.

2. Install shift lock cable in position according to this DWG. In this case, shift lock cable must be fixed to brake pedal in position.

3. Temporarily install shift lock cable to A/T lever assy as shown below. Securely insert cable end into fixing point of shift lock cam.

4. Doing the work of 3. slightly pull outer casing of shift lock cable to direction "E" to stretch cable. In this case, shift lock cam must not move.

5. After checking portion of cable end touches cable fixing pin of shift lock cam. Fix outer casing with a nut.

6. Check the installation condition of the shift lock cam.

CHECK POINTS OF KEY INTERLOCK SYSTEM

1. With IG.KEY at "LOCK" position and brake pedal depressed, push button cannot be operated.

2. IG.KEY must be not turned to "LOCK" position

3. When shift lever shifted to "P" position again, IG.KEY must be turned to "LOCK" position smoothly.

ADJUSTING AND INSTALL PRECEDURE FOR KEY INTER LOCK CABLE

1. Install key inter lock cable in position according to this drawing.

2. After assembling C/PAD module and inserting the key into the lock cylinder, insert the lock cylinder into the lock body thorugh the C/PAD key hole with "ACC" condition.

3. After assembling key inter lock cable and lock body assembly, fix the key inter lock cable with set screw.

4. Change the key "LOCK" state and check the AT lever is located at "P" position. At this time, slightly push the KEY LOCK CAM to direction "Q"

5. After setting the key inter lock cable, fix the cable with nut. At this moment, the key inter lock cable shall not be pulled the direction "Q".